Is it possible to transfer NAND Flash from iPhone to another?

I dropped my iphone 5 into the water.

But the memory chip seems to be fine.

Now I am wondering if it is possible to unsolder the Hynix H2JTDG2MBR NAND Memory Chip and transfer it to a new Iphone.

I would buy a new working iphone and would like to change the Hynix H2JTDG2MBR in this phone with my old one to recover my data and to have a new working phone by the the side.

Because it is a BGA Chip I would need a special company for that, that should not ne the problem.

But will this process work generally ?

I heard something about AES encryption of the memory, so perhaps that only works if the CPU is also transferred ?

How do the comanys for for datarescue do that. They told me it is no problem to get the data out of the memory chip, they unsolder the chip and read them out...

This would be a very expensive & dangerous undertaking!

First you will void the warranty of your new phone as soon as you pulled off the memory chip. If you mess up you'll have eaten two phones. Too risky in my mind.

Second Apple states the data is encrypted to the point it can't be accessed. Review this white paper: iOS Security - Feb '14.

If this info was so valuable why didn't you make a backup? Or leverage iCloud? If you have iCloud setup your stuff is safe and when you get your new phone you can have everything downloaded back down from iCloud to your new phone.

Apple has released iOS security documents. Each iPhone is uniquely encrypted so no chance of that working.

The flash memory in each iPhone is uniquely encrypted by its CPU using AES256. Encryption keys are generated from secure keys hidden inside the CPU, random numbers generated on each iOS copy and user passcode.

Data salvage companies tries to repair the board first, if not possible, transplant the chips, if still not working, say goodbye to anything inside the flash chip that has not been backed up.

Transplanting the chips won't work, because of the reason you stated. The key is unique to the CPU/Chip combination.

Your best bet is to try to repair the water damage if possible . I'd concentrate on repairing the dock connector and replacing the battery consider the old one toast making sure to clean these connectors with the brush and alcohol ,a sonic bath for the logic board, throw the screen in a desiccant or silica gel leave it there for a few days moving it occasionally to maximize the effect. Restoring the phone is not completely necessary only the need to connect to itunes so you can rescue data

Hope this helps

The flash chip can be changed between phones. See:

http://9to5mac.com/2016/02/03/iphone-fla...

But you will lose all data, so not helpful in this situation.

You will not lose the data. Did you see the link provided?

John, you WILL lose all data if you don't back it up. Either you back up yourself or they back it up for you, which requires the data be accessible in the first place. They cannot extract any data if the phone is locked. I live in China and I've seen people done that countless times.

Anyone else notice they are different phones in the comparison shot? not to mention one is in left hand and the other in right hand at the same time?

I'm not worried about the data on the current NAND but told that it was damaged by long screw idjit and would like to have a working phone

Long screw fix is easy (relatively) and done routinely for £60 or so depending on where you take it.

I've looked into this but the micro-jumpers used are highly specialized.

Also worth mentioning is that the Flash chips on older (*ie 4S*) phones are encrypted but there is a trivial way to break it using the IMEI (its on the SIM tray) , MAC address, Bluetooth address and a hash of the original iCloud email password and birth date. Won't work on the newer phones but the key space is far smaller than Apple want to admit which is why they obsoleted the older devices rather than permitting ios 10 to run on them.

I also came up with a way to break the 4S security PIN using the headphone jack but legal issues prevent me revealing exactly how so that's a pain.

wartok will be eternally grateful.