HP Laptop

Hewlett-Packard began manufacturing personal laptop computers in 1993.

Caps lock and num lock leds blink continuously, can't get to bios

Hp Tx2525nr (Windows 7 professional) cursor LED and Caps lock LED blinks continuously and wont start,with a black screen, also one can not get to the BIOS menu.

I could not boot to an install disk

Can you boot to an install disk?

by rab777hp

First thing to do as suggested by HP also, turn of your PC take off the battery take of charger open the RAM slot.

Take of the ram and disconnect the wireless card

Press the power button when in that point and keep it pressed for like 30 sec.

Reassemble it all and try to boot.

It may be a power problem or BIOS failure - try this out it should be OK.

If that does not work, the worst scenario is that you just reset your BIOS from CMOS by taking out the small battery behind the RAM modules for a few seconds.

Hope the info helped.

Thank god, I followed these steps, and my computer is back up running

by Dale Emberley

It worked perfectly. Thanks!!!

by rocymartinez

Thank you so much. My computer has been dead for over a month. Tried what you said and its back.So simple I couldn't believe it.

by tarnzb21

Sorry. This fix got my led's blinking properly. Then I held down the four arrow keys and turned on lappy. This got my screen back. Don't know why but it worked.

by tarnzb21

press with you palm on the center of the keyboard especially at the area 'T,Y,U,I,O,7,8,9'. This is due to the GPU socket loose.

turn on computer and the keyboard num lock is blinking what dose it mean on my compaq

by obama

This worked for me one time, enough to do some backup. Thanks.

by rob

how ? what mean by palm? i have the same problem in my hp g62.

by waqas baber

Give it a little TLC. Kinda like administering CPR chest compression's but, much more lightly and gentle. Pressing with you palm on the keyboard area keys T,Y,U,I,O,7,8,9. It really works!

I tried this and to my amazement it worked, but only once so at least I could backup some files . Thanks.

by rob

how to do it? pressing with your palm mean?

by waqas baber

Worked for me! Thx Lori. @Waqas Baber "Kinda like administering CPR chest compression's but, much more lightly and gentle". As simple as that.

by Real Trix

On my HP8530w, the capslock and numlock leds blinked 3 times, periodically. It was miraculously solved by the first proposed methods: removing batter, ac power, bios-battery AND wireless card (under the keyboard, near letter B) and pressing the power button for 30 seconds. After reassembling, the bios seemed to be reconfigured and booted normally afterwards!

Compaq Presario CQ-45 Caps lock LED blinks continuously and wont start,with a black screen, also one can not get to the BIOS menu. Please help me urgents thanks in advance

by Vipin Sharma

Check your ram modules.

It is either loose or they are dead.

Remove the Ram modules, wipe it with a lint free cloth, put it back in and see if the laptop is working.

If not you will have to replace the ram module(s).

I have done all these procedures,but to no avail. i have used new ram modules.....,

by Jide

I found that the memory slot (memory bank) 0 - under the very first slot you see when you open - did not work. I just removed the memory from that slot and let the only one that worked fine and had the biggest memory inside the other slot. The notebook booted okay. But I did not find why just one memory slot stopped working... I will look at the motherboard to see the connections (bus) to the processor and check if there is a short circuit or something like that. Hope this helps.

check the blink codes, if the blink codes are a sequence of 1 and a long delay. that decodes to the CPU not funtional. it is either the cpu itself that is having the problem or the CPU socket is not working. in that sence you need to replace one or the other.

HP notebooks key to blinks on startup - HP says 1 blink = CPU problem, 2 blinks = BIOS, 3= Memory issue, 4 = Graphics, 5 blinks and it means your system board is dead, 6 blinks = BIOS problem.

by Linda A

to clarify 2 blinks BIOS corruption, 6 blinks BIOS authentication failure.

by Linda A

If it comes on and doesn't do anything but stay on the black screen, and caps lock keeps flashing, a weird trick to get it to come back on is to overheat it.

Wrap it up with sweaters or leave it on in your bag for about 30 mins and it will overheat and turn itself of due to the CPU overheating. Then it may come back on.

Its not a permanent fix, but it works for me. I use Sleep instead of Hibernate now and the trick works more often.

Got it from here:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Ha...

turn on computer and the keyboard num lock is blinking what dose it mean

by obama

I was having the same problem. My hp pavilion dv6 suddenly stop working. The sign were similar like black screen and caps/num lock light blinking. So I start googling what's wrong with my machine after attempting different kind of solutions, I found one works for me.

This method is called reflowing, In this remedy you have to heat up your mother board in a certain way. You will find reflow videos on youtube easily.

This method works for me.

Reflowing is usually only temporary and lasts a week, to a few weeks. What really needs doing is the video chip needs reballing

by Graham Ansell

happened to me too. i disassembled my laptop with no luck. i found out later that removing the SD card i had inside solved the problem.

You have burnt out the Graphics chip on it, i am amazed it has lasted this long as these model are prone to gpu failure.

Simply put.

Under the gpu there are small balls or solder prob 200 of them and a few have melted and joined together shorting out the chip or the heat has lifted a section of the chip, same result dead gpu.

Wrapping it in a sweater just heats up the solder until it turns back to a semi fluid and the solder balls reflow back to the correct position.

Pressing on the keyboard also does exactly the same thing as in that instance the chip has lifted and you are just pressing it back down.

Eventually the solder will fail completely as HP are renowned for using cheap chips and even cheaper solder ( other manufacturers are also available).

You need to have the gpu reballed or replaced, NOT reflowed.

The HP DV, TX, CQ and now the G6 and G7 series all suffer from gpu failure.

I have been a tech for over 40 years, and I'm telling you that overheating the laptop is NOT going to cause the solder to melt, or the joint to work. In fact, when troubleshooting a thermal problem, the opposite is true. "Cold solder" connections FAIL as the unit heats up. To isolate the problem, a freon spray is used to cool suspected areas to see if the problem disappears. So all these posts all over the forums regarding this machine that claim overheating the unit causes bad solder joints to to reconnect temporarily are WRONG ! I have no doubt that this method does sometimes get the unit to temporarily boot, but not for the reasons they claim. I do not know the reason for the original failure, nor why overheating the unit gets it to boot, but I suspect a fan issue, or some other error message being sent to the cpu that stops the start process. One of my ram cards slot is extremely loose, and the machine doesn't react differently if there is 1,2, or no ram cards installed. I will continue trying to isolate the problem, but I suggest if you want to recover data on the HDD, get an external hook up and do it right, not by frying you laptop further !

I have same issue from time to time (and it's happened several times) with an HP DV7, numlock and caps lock start flashing. All I do is unplug, remove battery for 2 or 3 minutes, re install battery, voila! I have never had to disassemble anything else.

I used the sweater method but did not work. Memory removal and bios battery removal solved it for me. Thanks!

Jide will be eternally grateful.