0

Jide
1

Caps lock and num lock leds blink continuously, can't get to bios

Hp Tx2525nr (Windows 7 professional) cursor LED and Caps lock LED blinks continuously and wont start,with a black screen, also one can not get to the BIOS menu.

I could not boot to an install disk

Edited by: Sam Lionheart ( ) , Taylor Arnicar ( ) , Jide ( )

Can you boot to an install disk?

rab777hp,

3

George
91

First thing to do as suggested by HP also, turn of your PC take off the battery take of charger open the RAM slot.

Take of the ram and disconnect the wireless card

Press the power button when in that point and keep it pressed for like 30 sec.

Reassemble it all and try to boot.

It may be a power problem or BIOS failure - try this out it should be OK.

If that does not work, the worst scenario is that you just reset your BIOS from CMOS by taking out the small battery behind the RAM modules for a few seconds.

Hope the info helped.

Edited by: Taylor Arnicar ( )

3

mohd sufian marjuni
37

press with you palm on the center of the keyboard especially at the area 'T,Y,U,I,O,7,8,9'. This is due to the GPU socket loose.

turn on computer and the keyboard num lock is blinking what dose it mean on my compaq

obama,

This worked for me one time, enough to do some backup. Thanks.

rob,

0

Sonu
1

Check your ram modules.

It is either loose or they are dead.

Remove the Ram modules, wipe it with a lint free cloth, put it back in and see if the laptop is working.

If not you will have to replace the ram module(s).

I have done all these procedures,but to no avail. i have used new ram modules.....,

Jide,

0

Fabio Ribeiro
1

I found that the memory slot (memory bank) 0 - under the very first slot you see when you open - did not work. I just removed the memory from that slot and let the only one that worked fine and had the biggest memory inside the other slot. The notebook booted okay. But I did not find why just one memory slot stopped working... I will look at the motherboard to see the connections (bus) to the processor and check if there is a short circuit or something like that. Hope this helps.

Edited by: Taylor Arnicar ( )

0

slacker
7

check the blink codes, if the blink codes are a sequence of 1 and a long delay. that decodes to the CPU not funtional. it is either the cpu itself that is having the problem or the CPU socket is not working. in that sence you need to replace one or the other.

HP notebooks key to blinks on startup - HP says 1 blink = CPU problem, 2 blinks = BIOS, 3= Memory issue, 4 = Graphics, 5 blinks and it means your system board is dead, 6 blinks = BIOS problem.

Linda A,

to clarify 2 blinks BIOS corruption, 6 blinks BIOS authentication failure.

Linda A,

0

EJ Radcliff
1

If it comes on and doesn't do anything but stay on the black screen, and caps lock keeps flashing, a weird trick to get it to come back on is to overheat it.

Wrap it up with sweaters or leave it on in your bag for about 30 mins and it will overheat and turn itself of due to the CPU overheating. Then it may come back on.

Its not a permanent fix, but it works for me. I use Sleep instead of Hibernate now and the trick works more often.

Got it from here:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Ha...

turn on computer and the keyboard num lock is blinking what dose it mean

obama,

0

Lori
1

Give it a little TLC. Kinda like administering CPR chest compression's but, much more lightly and gentle. Pressing with you palm on the keyboard area keys T,Y,U,I,O,7,8,9. It really works!

Edited by: Lori ( )

I tried this and to my amazement it worked, but only once so at least I could backup some files . Thanks.

rob,

0

astovl
1

take a look guys with my laptop problem.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1...

0

kayadeel
1

I was having the same problem. My hp pavilion dv6 suddenly stop working. The sign were similar like black screen and caps/num lock light blinking. So I start googling what's wrong with my machine after attempting different kind of solutions, I found one works for me.

This method is called reflowing, In this remedy you have to heat up your mother board in a certain way. You will find reflow videos on youtube easily.

This method works for me.

Reflowing is usually only temporary and lasts a week, to a few weeks. What really needs doing is the video chip needs reballing

Graham Ansell,

0

Marius Vlad
1

happened to me too. i disassembled my laptop with no luck. i found out later that removing the SD card i had inside solved the problem.

0

UDAY
1

i have compaq d521 model desktop, when i start screen is blank and numlock led is always blinking i dont't know what is the problem please help me ...when i test processer fan is working cpu is not heating ram is also working i dont't know what is the problem if any body help me

lots of thanks in advance

0

irepairappletech
31

You have burnt out the Graphics chip on it, i am amazed it has lasted this long as these model are prone to gpu failure.

Simply put.

Under the gpu there are small balls or solder prob 200 of them and a few have melted and joined together shorting out the chip or the heat has lifted a section of the chip, same result dead gpu.

Wrapping it in a sweater just heats up the solder until it turns back to a semi fluid and the solder balls reflow back to the correct position.

Pressing on the keyboard also does exactly the same thing as in that instance the chip has lifted and you are just pressing it back down.

Eventually the solder will fail completely as HP are renowned for using cheap chips and even cheaper solder ( other manufacturers are also available).

You need to have the gpu reballed or replaced, NOT reflowed.

The HP DV, TX, CQ and now the G6 and G7 series all suffer from gpu failure.

Edited by: irepairappletech ( )

0

Letchu Manan
1

great thanks

its works

0

freddiebones
1

I have been a tech for over 40 years, and I'm telling you that overheating the laptop is NOT going to cause the solder to melt, or the joint to work. In fact, when troubleshooting a thermal problem, the opposite is true. "Cold solder" connections FAIL as the unit heats up. To isolate the problem, a freon spray is used to cool suspected areas to see if the problem disappears. So all these posts all over the forums regarding this machine that claim overheating the unit causes bad solder joints to to reconnect temporarily are WRONG ! I have no doubt that this method does sometimes get the unit to temporarily boot, but not for the reasons they claim. I do not know the reason for the original failure, nor why overheating the unit gets it to boot, but I suspect a fan issue, or some other error message being sent to the cpu that stops the start process. One of my ram cards slot is extremely loose, and the machine doesn't react differently if there is 1,2, or no ram cards installed. I will continue trying to isolate the problem, but I suggest if you want to recover data on the HDD, get an external hook up and do it right, not by frying you laptop further !

0

Bruce
1

I have same issue from time to time (and it's happened several times) with an HP DV7, numlock and caps lock start flashing. All I do is unplug, remove battery for 2 or 3 minutes, re install battery, voila! I have never had to disassemble anything else.

0

Xpdin
1

Hi all,

Two weeks ago, the HP 625 had the same symptoms like one of the people above.

Black screen Caps look blinking 5 times.

I have tried all the above methods but only after I "reflow" the CPU with the Hair Dryer. I don't know how correct was the reflow, referring to the temperature and time of the procedure.

It worked for a few days, and after that it stopped again. Now, only after I press on the keyboard, sometimes it starts.

I found some cheep second hand CPUs, do you think it's a good idea to try one? The situation could be solved? Or the problem is from the main board pins too, or the place where the cpu is situated on the main board?

Thank you very much,

The issue here is most likely the GPU, not the CPU. BTW, can't do a good reflow with a Hair Dryer.

With all due respect...Why has no one suggested changing the thermal compound on the CPU and thermal pad on the GPU? Especially if it's a possible fix before needing a reflow or reball? Also note.."Can only perform a proper reflow with a BGA machine". Just like game consoles, Thermal Compound Fails, it's more common for a cheap thermal pad on a GPU to fail in a laptop. Other Issues: Clogged with fuzz in the cooler fins, cooling fan not spinning.

LS Computer Systems, , Edited

0

Xpdin
1

Tell me please for these case, is it ok to try the reballing without reflow, or, both of them should be done?

Thank you...

You should send it out or take it to a business that will perform at least a proper reflow. Reflow does not always fix the problem and it will need to be reballed anyway. Pressing down on the keyboard is only one way of finding out if the GPU is still functional knowing, that a proper reflow / reball will work.

LS Computer Systems,

0

zakirhussin85
1

I have tried all this solution to fix my laptops but it doesn't work for me :( don't know what the heck is wrong with my laptops I have 2 hp laptop I suffering the same problem with both of them.

is any1 up there with any new idea what is the exact problem

Please tell me

thanks