Model A1312 / Mid 2011 / 2.7 & 3.1 GHz Core i5 or 3.4 GHz Core i7 Processor

Bad power supply AND logic board.

One night I restarted my imac and after a few min of booting up, it shut off and wouldnt come back on.

I did every trick I could find on the web and nothing.

Took it to apple genius bar, my warranty had just expired in may...they tried new power supply and nothing. New logic board, nothing again...so they called corporate and they told them its a "cascading" issue, meaning the power supply/logic board and even the back casing had to be replaced. Anybody even heard of this? it would cost me $1000 to fix it. anybody had the same problem?

raulgxl, what are the last four digits of your computers serial number? this will allow us to identify the hardware for your computer.

Hey thanks man, the last four digits are DMW8.

3.4 GHz Core i7 (I7-2600)

Intro Date: May 3, 2011 Disc Date: October 23, 2012

Order No: BTO/CTO Model No: A1312 (EMC 2429)

Subfamily: Mid-2011 Model ID: iMac12,2

Std RAM: 4 GB Std VRAM: 1 GB

Std Storage: 1 TB (7200 RPM) Std Optical: 8X DL "SuperDrive"

What ended up happening with this? I currently have my Mid 2011 27" iMac in with the Genius Par and they're quoting almost $1,000 in repairs for first, the power supply. Now that they replaced the power supply, they're also now saying the Logic Board needs to be replaced. I'm afraid of a cascading issue, also. I had taken it in earlier last year because the screen was going black and they let me know of the replacement program, but they said there was nothing wrong with my video card.

Just wondering if you were able to get anywhere or if you did the repair. I'm trying to talk to Apple about it now before I decide on what to do.

Only option they gave me was pay the $1000+ for parts and labor or "invest" on a new imac. Honestly I didnt have the money to do either and my imac has been collecting dust in my closet. At this point is it worth it to repair or even selling it for parts? I even looked on ebay and there was one for sale with the EXACT same problem.

Your serial number qualifies you for a free repair. If Apple refuses come back and I'll take you to the class action law suit information. Read the following and armed with this, go straight to Corporate Apple, screw the local guys, you found the real pros here. (800) APL-CARE (800-275-2273):

http://9to5mac.com/2013/08/16/apple-open...

The last four characters of the serial number must contain one of the following groups (for example, xxxxxxxxDHJQ):

DHJQ, DHJW, DL8Q, DNGH, DNJ9, or DMW8

DPM1, DPM2, DPNV, DNY0, DRVP, DY6F, F610

Good information!

I've personally taken three of these machines into my local ASP and had no problem with getting them repaired for free. Maybe it's because I know what I'm talking about. Do a web search for "Class Action Suit & 2011 iMac after checking your serial number on the link I originally listed.

They told me the free repair would've popped up once they input my serial number, but it didnt. I asked them to remove the hard drive since I'm probably gonna sell this thing and they said they computer had never been opened so they have to hold it for a couple more days. Seems crazy to me they decide to make me pay up and didnt even bother to check the insides to see which parts were bad. To this point this has been a headache and a waste of time. Will never buy an imac again!

I have the 27 inch I Mac, I bought it was in the box unopened for 2.3 years, I switched it on working for 2 days, less than 4 hours use time and suddenly shutdown no power no sign of life. I took it to apple genius. They said is the login board, they wanted 700 £. I left it on the desk, I am now surprised why people still buy apple products this scenario detracted me from any apple products, in response I contacted apple I asked them even if my I Mac is running out of the guarantee, what sort of hardware they have to work for few hours from unreality it. Apple middle managers declined responsibility. I will leave my e mail nazarmansour@gmail.com. Waiting for Apple manager to contact me to offer free repair for the faulty product they sale to people, if Steve Job was alive he will be extremely distressed by the damage of the reputation of the company which sells faulty products. I AM 100% sure it is a manufacturer fault and apple has to recall the product.

I have had the same problem. If you google logic board for imac I found one for 23.00, installed myself, now works fine. My imac would not turn on at all, like you tried everything.

A cascading failure is a failure of interconnected parts in which the failure of a single part can trigger the failure of successive parts. Such a failure may happen in many types of systems, including power transmission (you may recall reading in the news that many early blackouts were caused by a power cascade from a single blown transformer), computers, home heating and cooling... any system of multiple parts could suffer a cascade failure.

Was there an unprotected power surge that destroyed the machine? I find it unusual that Apple wouldn't make an allowances for a machine as near to still having a warranty as you state. Have you tried escalating the claim with Apple?

If you had a home power issue your homeowners insurance may cover part of your repair.

I had a cascade failure of my home heating and cooling systems this spring due to a nearby lightening strike in a thunderstorm. No other appliances were damaged but apparently the wet grass allowed current to enter the outdoor AC unit, blow up it, the furnace and the thermostat... without causing any bangs, fires or smell of burning materials.

The first clue I had that anything was wrong occurred two days after the storm when I went to turn on my AC and nothing happed.

If this answer is acceptable please remember to return and mark it.

i just bought my first IMac, had it maybe a month. its sitting in a repair shop. I'm told its a power supply issue. I'm under full warranty still which is good, however I'm really concerned about all the issues and reviews on the MAC Pcs. everyone seems to be having some type of issue with them and a lot are early issues. i paid 2400 for my late 2015 IMac 5k retina 27 inch 1tb fusion drive. i expect a really good Pc for the money i paid for it. i don't want to be spending half the cost i paid for it on repairs. again I've only had mine a month and I'm being told my power supply has gone bad. why? no parts should be faulty and costing buyers as mush as it does to get repairs due to faulty build. all the problems I'm seeing are very discouraging for me. I'm very worried about my future experience with my IMac.

My dud iMac 27in late 2012. Going into 3rd year since I bought it Apple replaced power supply, logic board & hard drive because of random shutdown. This is after two trips to Apple Store Fountain Gate (Narre Warren, Australia). They also replaced the LCD display panel because they damaged it during repair. Now I'm out of warranty & Apple care extended warranty the iMac started playing up again. I'm going to bring my iMac tomorrow to see what else they can do. I'm not expecting any good results from Apple people though.

Do you have a UPS? Often when I hear someone has had to replace so much I often suspect power issues and/or lightning strikes. You also may need to isolate the other interconnected devices as lighting can follow the cabling (network & USB).

Has anyone been able to verify the top rated solution working. Regarding the class action suit.

27 inch Crappy piece of Junk, 2 Years $2400 and immediately the screen was freezing from day one, and I thought this is probably an isolated incident, and boy was I wrong, now they say its the Logic Board and will cost $580?? , makes me puke, As if Apple does not make enough money from me, with music , and all the devices I have unfortunately bought, this is the last computer I am buying from them.

Word Goes around real fast, when you build a crappy product believe me.

Like this week they just announced the new I Phone X for $1000, and I told my son who loves Apple??, that they are far behind in design and quality, Compared to Samsung, I have bought DELL computers for my work for the last 20 years and never had any repairs or major hardware failure, they run 10 hrs a day 6 days a week, never had to REPLACE A FREAKIN Part for $580

What a piece of Junk.

Instead of making a giant headquarters, make sure you can compete with quality, and the crap about limited production, so it sounds like they are sold out. !#^&@! me off more than anything, even when you have money ready to buy, its like good luck getting one !! the !&&* WITH YOU AND YOUR COMPUTERS APPLE, YOU SUCK!!!

Mine was randomly dying and I would have to unplug the a/c outlet from the computer and plug it back in before it would start. I have a 27 inch mid 2015. After spending $620 for a new logic board, I brought it home and it died again. I take it back tomorrow and it's supposedly covered since they supposedly they "fixed" it...

I'm curious as to whether or not they will try and charge me if something else is wrong with it other than that logic board. I bought it for $1600 so it's not very cost effective to put anything else into a computer that may or may not work. $620 is kind of the extent of what I would pay to get it fixed. If they find something else and it brings the total cost of repair to say $1000, do I get back the original amount invested in repair since it did not actually repair it?

My late 2014 5k iMac has had two exploding power supplies now, in most PC's power supplies are never an issue, business PC's run for a decade full of dust and snot and the PSUs never give up the ghost. Minimal sizing and style over function always has an impact on the design of the circuitry with Macs and I think Apple products operate on the edge. The only thing they have right is the OS but that is wearing very thin as a hook for me right now. The old Mac Pro seems to be the last Mac Apple will ever build with any sort of robustness.

raulgxl will be eternally grateful.