Use these guides to repair phones from all manufacturers and service providers.

Thinking of building a clean room?

hi

Been doing phone repairs for about a year, and am going to be moving house in about a year, i'll be making sure I have a garage or large shed for me to do my work in.

Question is, is it worth partitioning off a section for the phone repairs as a clean room with some sort of filter in there to eliminate dust etc when doing the final process, or make a large white light box with an attachment on the side which I could attach a hoover on to suck the dust away?

getting fed up constantly wiping over the LCDs to get rid of dust, as I'm working in the kitchen every evening with the kid and Mrs walking past causing dust to move everywhere. (yes the house is cleaned everyday)

Most Helpful Answer

The dirtiest internal computers are in houses that get cleaned the most. The vacuum cleaners put fine particles of dust into the air and the internal fans in computers suck it right in and filter the dust out of the air. Kitchens are the worse place to work as grease also gets suspended in the air. To see this in action just fry some chicken with glasses on, then look at the glasses. Do you work in a room with a tile floor and a ion filter. Shut off the air vent to it and you should see much better results.

I just work in the kitchen on the table with a separate wipeable tablecloth than what we use for mealtimes, and yes the floor is tiled. But no filters at all.

I originally done a couple of phones for friends and then word of mouth got around, so bought better tools like an LCD seperator. But now find, i'm rushing steps like closing up the glass screens in fear of dust getting in in those last seconds when I should be taking more time aligning didgitiser cables under the screen better.

I removed all the carpet from my house and installed Saltillo tile. I do not vacuum but I sweep every day. I mop once a month. I use a large magnet on my sweeping and find all my lost screws. I always take my machines outside to blow them out with canned air and now a blower that Country Computer Service recommended: http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500...

Here's the source on canned air use and alternatives:

looking for reasonably priced Canned Air lots

I use that same blower. I love it! Once I even used it to inflate all the balloons for my little daughter's birthday party :) saved me from pneumonia ;)

Duane Massey, the very first thing I'd suggest is to remove the table cloth. Wipeable or not, it may trap lint and could also cause static electricity to build up. You "could" use a vacuum cleaner for as long as you only use a suction hose and leave the actual vacuum cleaner in another room. This is most likely not feasible. then go with what mayer suggest.

Magnets on the brush is a good idea. And as for the tablecloth, I have those magnetic mats for the phones which the actual work is done on,

I already have a mini air compressor for spraying models, and kept a clean gun specifically for blowing small shards of glass off the screens rather than wipe, but blowing probably makes it worse?

Yes, using any blower inside will just increase your dust issues. Also, if you have central air, pay close attention to your air outlets and change your filters regular

Just make sure you don't use the vac while you have circuit boards exposed. Vacs are good on collecting static charges which if you're not careful will kill your circuit boards with very little effort, use can'ed air instead.

Duane will be eternally grateful.