The Kenmore 90 Series is a washing machine manufactured by Kenmore.

Washer doesn't spin, smells like something burned

It did sound like it was working but after it was done the laundry still has lots of water in them, i tried to turn the switch back to spin and it sounded like it was spinning, but the laundry still came out wet. And It smelled like something's burned??

Try these two first:

Motor Coupling

If the washer won't spin or agitate the motor coupling might have failed. The motor coupling connects the motor to the washer transmission. It is designed to fail if the washer is overloaded in order to protect both the motor and transmission.

Drive Belt

If the washer won't spin or agitate, check the drive belt. If the belt is broken or if it isn't tight on the pulleys the washer won't spin or agitate properly. This may be what you're smelling.

My washer like this filled with water, but never would agitate.. just hummed/buzzed.... and smelled warm... a repairman told me it was the transmission.. does this sound reasonable.. would rather repair than buy a new washer but the quote was $300....

I also have a Kenmore Series 90 washer. I'm having the same issue, except my washer agitates just fine... it just won't spin consistently (I say consistently because I think it does spin sometimes). If I "coax" it (meaning I start it spinning by hand), it will continue spinning. Just today I noticed a burning smell, but that's new.

Mayer... should I start with the Motor Coupling?

Summerxx will be eternally grateful.