Complete how-to and replacement guides for the original iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X.

Soldering small IC components

Hey out there,

I have bought an iPhone 5, where several components had been knocked of. I have been trying to resolder the components, but had no luck as of yet.

The components are U3 and Q3:

Furthermore, two small resistors have also been knocked off.

How would one go about soldering these back on the logic board successfully?

i have the same problem with an iphone 4s , after water damage , 2 of the small componenet around the touch IC NEEDS TO BE REPLACED, wondering if there are some ways how to put them back

thank you

This is the now classic battery pry damage repair! I do this repair every day, it is an old friend.

Hot air is likely to melt the back of the SIM tray, and hot air is always less safe than a soldering iron. I hand solder each one under the microscope using a tacky flux. The only thing that is really important is to not tear the pads--sometimes after the pry damage they have separated from the board and are a bit floppy so just be very careful. If you lose one pad, you can build a micro jumper to restore continuity, but if you start losing pads you can render the phone unrepairable. Both R20 and R22 are required for home button and power button function, so you'll need to replace those as well if they are gone. In my experience, when the smaller local capacitors in the area are bumped off their pads, they turn out (always) to be damaged on their cap ends and have to be replaced.

I built a custom tool to help with nudging the smallest components back there into place---solder a straight pin onto one of those cheap tiny screwdrivers.

Good luck, and as always if you want to send out for help with a board-level repair feel free to click my name here and find your way to our mail in repair shop via my profile.

jessa

Take off the metal shield on the other side, then I would use hot air to solder the components back on.

Why would you remove the EMI shield on the backside?

Soren Jakobsen will be eternally grateful.