Why won't my car start?

Heading text

My car just makes a clicking sound when you try to start it. I checked the battery and it's good, it just makes a clicking sound and won't start.

have a 98 honda accord i changed my starter and charged my battery ...but heres the catch my key was stuck in my ignition but when my starter stopped the key was able to come out now my car will not even turn over

That's the starter solenoid

replacing the solenoid on the end of the starter or the entire starter will solve this.

If this answer is aceptable please return and mark it.

Good Luck,

N.

It is not starter could it be imbolisher with green key flashing

bonniepaulli, Yes if flashing, imobilizer will stop engine from starting, immobilizer light blinks when the car doesn't detect the right key. If you have a spare key I would try that. If the problem isn't the key then something is screwed up whether it's wiring or the immobilizer system. You may have to have a good technician have a look if second key does not work for you. good luck.

Most Helpful Answer

One way to prove that the starter solenoid is bad is to hit the starter while the key is turned to the start position. This can be a bit dangerous, so be careful. Grab a hammer or a sturdy piece of wood. Locate the starter on your vehicle, near the front of the transmission. On some vehicles it will be very hard to reach. Have a friend hold the key in the start position with their foot on the brake (and clutch, if your vehicle has a manual transmission). Give the starter a smack on the side or end, while being sure not to damage or dent it. If the starter runs after you hit it, you know you've got a bad solenoid and that you should replace the starter. If it doesn't run, you could still have a bad starter, but it could also be something else.

Hope this helps, and remember to be CAREFUL!

I agree it sounds like a bad starter. The clicking noise while trying to start the car can be a good sign the starter is failing.

It is said later in this thread, but take a look at the thick wire to the starter and make sure it does not show any signs of corrosion before replacing the starter. A corroded wire can limit voltage to the starter.

though your sure that the battery is good and fully charge, battery connection must be checked as a weak connection could easilly cause same symptom. once thats checked and found good, then move to starter to check battery power on the bigger wire. if ok, then try to jump the two wires momentarilly. if all its doing is still just clicking, do replace the starter assembly.

+ That's true. Make sure the connection is tight and also that there's no corrosion on the terminals. If there is, clean it with water and baking soda.

Check the battey!

wiring could be drsaining it or in my case a couple times the plug would come lose on the wire to the starter i push it in and bam back in business.....

jane doe so glad you commented on this guys problem.I installed a new battery,and starter at the same time and was still getting the fast clicking.After reading your comment i changed the power wire going to the starter with a new one.My cvr cranked right up it was music to my ears,as the whole not starting after replacing a battery and starter gave me the boo hoo,s.THANKS FOR THE INFO AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That clicking sound behind the glove compartment could be the factory security system engaging the kill-starter feature, according to a forum thread I read elsewhere, too. That happens sometimes including when you change or disconnect the car's battery or otherwise trigger a sensor (there are many).

You may be able to reset it with the reset button by the drivers side fuse box, or the factory radio or driver door lock with a key fob, sometimes in combination with the driver's power (un)lock button. If you have the factory security system you'll need the factory radio and/or the factory fob (discontinued and hard to find) not an after-factory replacement, and the original security code. I have heard of other tricks too like removing then replacing the radio fuse, disconnecting the battery, touching the disconnected battery cables together and such but that didn't help me. because my radio appears to be dead.

Do internet searches using terms like: factory accessories, security, alarm, reset, deactivate, reprogram, stereo, radio, computer, fob, remote, transponder, transmitter, valet button, reset button, panic button, programming, immobilizer, kill-starter, VIN, brake code, security code, serial number, anti-theft code, radio identification card

NOTE: many of these terms are interchangeable and I can't imagine why there aren't standard terms used at least by Honda staff (unless there are in the manuals, idk),

I found it helpful to talk to a Honda dealership parts and service staff, a stereo store installer, a locksmith, and a tower at a junkyard to learn about this initially. Most recommended towing to an electrical diagnostic shop, which I am trying to avoid paying for, but maybe you can manage this in your case.

Here are just some of the links I found in many hours of searching, reading, and viewing youtube. I cannot vouch for the info I repeated above or found in these threads or sites. I am just trying to consolidate some info so other owners and service personnel can find it when troubleshooting. Honda has pages too (but I'd need to go back in my history to find more). No I don't work for any of these fyi

http://www.fixya.com/cars/t3158204-need_...

http://www.bcae1.com/

http://locksmithcharley.com/transponder/...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwTfV3sJ...

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/honda...

Benny will be eternally grateful.