Model A1312 / Mid 2010 / 3.2 GHz Core i3 or 2.8 & 3.6 GHz Core i5 or 2.93 GHz Core i7

Intel i3 replace to Intel Xeon X3470

hello,

Replacing the Processor intel i3 intel xeon X3470.

I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqd3lii0...

for me is this: http://s29.postimg.org/9xrmccidj/Screen_...

who knows how to do that properly seen imac processor?

best regards

Leo

Leo - Are you looking for the information on how to upgrade your CPU?

I don't believe any iMacs have removable CPUs. Am I mistaken?

It's not a matter of faith.

based on the facts.

question to people who have made such exchanges, as I

Alex - For future reference you posted a Question in the place where only Answers belong. Please use the add comment link to the appropriate Answer, Question or create your original Question.

You are mistaken some iMac's have CPU's that are not soldered to the logic board... but it is a PITA to get to them and change them for a few GHz speed benefit (not noticeable for most users of iMac's)

All of the older desktops do. The latest iMacs Thin Series have some that don't. And, all of the laptops don't have removable CPU's or GPU's

Here's a user submitted guide on how he did it: Upgrade iMac Intel Core i3 CPU to Core i7.

Just to be clear here the GeekBench test tool does not correctly identify the CPU. It shows up as a Xenon because the instruction set is 64bit. There is no Xenon upgrade chip for this system only the i5 or i7 (most people going to the i7 chip).

Most Helpful Answer

I successfully upgrade my iMac11,3 to a Xeon X3480. Jups, XEON processor for iMac. The only issue is that it doesn't show in the System Profiler. Making sure that the processor fits the same socket and matches the same TDP should be enough.

It's my 2nd CPU upgrade and everything works flawlessly. I also followed the Upgrade iMac Intel Core i3 CPU to Core i7 Guide.

How has this gone now that it's two years later? Still works fine?

Because of EFI (driver) problems you can not just stick any old Intel CPU in an Apple box. So if you have the lesser CPU of your model run you could conceivably upgrade to the fastest OEM version by either replacing the CPU from a damaged unit (if your model has a removable CPU - not all do) or replacing the entire logic board.

Either is a very advanced DIY project (not a place to begin DIY computer upgrading) requiring you to completely disassemble then reassemble the entire machine.

If this answer is acceptable please remember to return and mark it.

My iMac11,3 was upgraded to Xeon X3450 last month, everything works well except two places:

1. in system profile it sill show as i3, but other info is correct, e.g. 8MB cache;

2. Process monitor displays only one thread on the bar, but system use 8 threads; it is recognized and utilized correctly by BOINC under OS X and BootCamp Windows 8

So, conclusion is, for 27 iMac i3/i5 owners, go ahead replace it with 1156 Xeons. It is almost half priced of i7 -860/870.

Hope this helps someone in confusion.

Leo will be eternally grateful.