Complete how-to and replacement guides for the original iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X.

Screen is flashing Colors-nothing visible. Why?

My iPhone 3G 16gb is flashing colors on the screen with scanlines (like from a tv). It got a little wet when I was in the rain, but not soaked. Do you know what I need to replace? There aren't cracks in the screen.

However, it does power on an off. I just can't see the screen.

I don't know if this could come from a connection problem. i have an iPod touch with the same problem. it looks like a test pattern that always runs as soon i switch the device on. the iPod had a water damage and i was able to get some live out of it. in case of my iPod - it gets pretty warm while displaying the pattern (but it could be normal since the graphics chip works pretty hard while displaying this stuff until the i switch it off. restoring didn't changed anything. but as i said - it looks like a programmed test pattern

I measured the temperature on my iPod touch - it goes up to 190°F. thats way too much - but still - it looks like programmed. the iPod could not be resetted and is not recognized by itunes. i think i try to find more infos why something like this could happend in the first place (don't care about the iPod, got 2 defective for around 15€)

Thanks everyone. I tried to replace things and it didn't work out so well. Now I have no display at all and my cheap adhesive didn't stick well so I have to wait for more in the mail. I suspect things arent connecting properly with the LCD. However, the phone part works. I plugged it into my computer and it recognized the phone in iTunes. Also, if I hold down the button and power button it takes pics like a working iPhone does.

That's good to know it's not water damaged. I'm going to order a completely new LCD and more glass and digitizer to see if that does the trick.

Take a look at you #1 connector (the one to the LCD)clean it a bit with some IPA and inspect for damage. Those tiny little pins are what transmit visual data to the screen. The fact that it is flashing might be a good thing, could just be residual build up from getting wet. A blown pin shows up blank white with lines. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. Which guide on here will show me how to do that when I disassemble the phone? Also, what is IPA? I'm sorry im a noob. I appreciate the help.

Here's the guide your looking for (Removing the screen assembly/connectors)

thanks everyone! What's this IPA stuff to clean it though?

isopropyl alcohol, take a good one with more than 90%

also make sure that you let it all dry before reassembly.

the same thing is happening to my phone. a few drops of water got on it but not much. i can't see anything but when i called it it still works. i unlocked it without looking at the screen. all that still works except the screen.

jlc will be eternally grateful.