Fifth generation of iPhone. Repair of this device is straightforward, and requires screwdrivers, prying tools, and patience. GSM/CDMA / 16, 32, or 64 GB / Black or White.

Is the wifi module on the logic board of an iPhone 4s?

My iPhone has been having trouble with it's wifi connections recently, so I was wondering if it would just be easier to replace it instead of reflowing it like others have done. Is the wifi module on the logic board of an iPhone 4s? If it is when I order a new logic board from iFixits website would it have a wifi module on it?

I noticed that sometime the Wi-Fi works and sometimes it doesn't so would this be a Wi-Fi and Bluetooth antenna issue? Also sometimes it lets me turn on the Wi-Fi and it works, or it just keeps searching, or it will be grayed out. So would this be an antenna issue?

Look at this manual, pic./step 21. Near to the WiFi antenna connector is the WiFi i.c. Replacing this i.c. is specific and very difficult operation. Only good specialist can do this.

But you can do this:

- Check in General > About is there WiFi address. If no - 99% this is a hardware problem.

- In General > Reset - do Reset Network Settings.

- Try to reconnect the WiFi antenna connector.

If this not resolve the problem, you need help from a specialist.

Regards.

Thanks for replying! The thing is sometimes I can connect to the WiFi and sometimes I can't. I don't put my iPhone in the freezer or under a lamp like people have suggested. I just restart it and sometimes the WiFi works other times it doesn't.

So I can click on Wi-Fi but I can't slide the slider on. My iPhone does give me a Wi-Fi address and a Bluetooth address. I will try to reconnect the Wi-Fi antenna connector next. Do you have any other suggestions in the mean time.

This is broken solder or not working WiFi i.c. If you haven't experience don'r try to fix it. You can damage you phone.

Lots of people have good luck with just applying some heat to the WiFi chip. It isn't really a 'reflow' but it can often restore the WiFi chip. It is something that I wouldn't attempt as DIY unless I was otherwise going to toss the phone. It is very easy to use too much heat and fry adjacent chips which will destroy the phone.

Actually replacing the chip is advanced, and of course replacing the board is pretty much the same thing as getting a new phone since the board 'is' the phone.

It could be that the contacts of the wifi antenna have got oil (finger grease from earlier repais) or something similar on them creating a bad connection. Here is a quote of the following post:

iPhone 4S Upper Antenna Replacement; step 27

Before reassembly, be sure to clean the metal-to-metal contact point on the upper antenna (not the mating halves of its connector) with a de-greaser such as windex or isopropyl alcohol. The oils on your fingers have the potential to cause wireless interference issues.

This is not caused by the antenna, it's the circuitry on the logic board.

Kirby will be eternally grateful.