Model CUH-ZCT1. Released in November 2013 by Sony Computer Entertainment, this six-axis, 3.7 V lithium ion battery controller is uncomplicated to repair.

Water damaged, PS4 controller, how to diagnose and repair?

After a late night I stupidly deposited my PS4 controller on top of the dishes in my sink. The next day after looking all over for the controller, to my dismay, I noticed it perched atop my dishes. As I removed it small droplets escaped from the PS button and L/R handles. I waited until it dried sufficiently. Then I plugged it back into the HDMI charging cord. I waited a while since there was no light showing residual charge.

I turned my console on and could not get the PS button to respond, thereby barring me from its use. After charging it for a while, a blue light flickered on and off intermittently. Is there someway I could salvage my controller?

Work the same with apple juice?

v16440, first thing you want to do is to stop using your controller and no longer plug it in. then use these guides to remove your battery. disassemble your controller and clean every parts with a high grade 90%+ isopropyl alcohol and a small brush. Check for burned out or missing components. Once you ensured it is clean, '''replace the battery and reassemble your Dualshock. then re-evaluate and see what you get. Water damage is the toughest to troubleshoot and to repair, so let us know what you find. Hope this helps, good luck.

This is the best service and shortest wait fro a response I have ever received! I will follow your guide and cross my fingers!TKS

Best of luck to you and let us know what you find:-) BTW welcome to ifixit:-))

How did this go?

Would 50% isopropyl alcohol we sufficient?

nope, way too low IMO

I had a similar problem , my 1yr old son threwmy controller in the mop bucket, it wasin there for almost a day.. when i took it out water came out from everywhere.. i let it dry for two days . Then i plugged it . . The red light came on for one second then turned off... so i decided to open it.. (youtube open controller ). Then i unplugged the light, and battery. . Put a blow dryer on it. On cool, not hot.. . And after 10 mins . Put the battery in, light in . And it worked. .. saved me 50 bucks.lol. hope this helps you out.

thank you soo much it worked :)

did all the button work mine don't that problem I'm having

So if I take out the battery can I just pour the alcohol into the controller? Nothing looks messed up. Dropped it in water the other day and all I get now is flashing purple lights which I can't find the meaning anywhere!

Ok so I had some spare pure alcohol left over from an iPhone repair. You can get it on eBay. I put the hole 100mill bottle in to the ring around the joy sticks and kept shaking it for about 15mins (aggressive shaking) then I put my girlfriends hair dryer on full power like Jeremy clarkson. Full power (cold) don't be tempted by hot it warps the battery casing. And it came back to life I hope it helps you guys/girls.

I did take the back off and disconnect the the battery for the hair dryer prossece.

My 3 year old dropped her older sister's brand new red dualshock in the kitchen sink which had dishes and soapy water... When I took it out, the dishwater was just leaking out from everywhere... Not good...

My first thought was dry it out and see if the gaming gods had pity but my faith in them was weak, I placed the controller on a heat vent anyways and left it for days, when it was 100% dry I turned it on and there was signs of life but while in game some buttons were unresponsive even though they were responding on the main screen of the playstation.

I was just gonna toss it and buy a new one but while searching for a solution online I found this site and thought of all the times I had a defective product after use and abuse and thought to myself, hey give it a try, buy their products and see what happens...

I got the Pro Tech Toolkit, crossed my fingers and went at it, it's a little nerve racking at first but then you just get into it. I followed the guides but found that the phillips 00 was a little loose and tried the phillips 0 instead which was spot on and carried on...

I placed tiny screws here, opened the top part slowly and a spring popped out... Gotta put it back, then a rubber thing falls out... The important part in all of it is don't panic, just pay attention to detail and put them back in, all the little tools are in the kit, the little bent tweezer like thing is so precise, I couldn't stop thinking of brain surgery lol but will not attempt!

I got down to where the buttons get into contact with the plastic film thing on the motherboard, I rubbed the areas that contacted each other with a Q-Tip dipped in Isopropyl Alcohol 99%, the tips turned greyish and used a dry one to clean it up more, did the same for the ends of where the 2 ribbons connect. I allowed it to dry which was pretty quick just by slightly fanning it with my hand, it evaporates in a flash. When everything looked dry, I placed everything back together and crossed my fingers again, my hopes to be honest were hardly existent but it actually freak'n worked!

I'm still patting myself and smiling without an audience, more than happy about my purchase :)

Will the rice help it, my pad is just vibrating none stop :(

ryancasey follow the directions in the first post @oldturkey03 oldturkey has given you your answer if you just accept it and do the work you can fix you controller. There is no fix with rice , rice is for eating and that's it , it fixes nothing

I spilled tea on my controller

How can I fix it

I need help a problem as well all ideas are good i haven't tried them but i want to see if something else i missing my controller got juice on it i tried to clean it but some how got in the controller but it worked for 10 or 20 min then i tried to charged it for 10 hrs then the light stared working i try play game with it mostly everything but some buttons were still not working then later some button were going crazy so i don't know want to do should the thing u guys i saying we should do or something else

do you have too like really really have too pull it apart and do your tech stuff to fix it or is there another answer to fix it without pulling it apart cause i dont feel safe to do so pls be a way GOD pls

or am i just f'ed

Put in rice, the rice will absorve the moisture ! Trust me

Score -1

Hey dude will the rice fix the pad, I just spupidly dropped mine in the dogs water bowl :( it's in rice now but it's just vibrating constantly

even if rice did absorb the moisture it wont fix the problem which will occur after , the corrosion of the circuitry. The fix is to take it apart and clean it as best you can with IP alcohol

leecr185 trust me, rice does not do anything. It will not fix corrosion nor will it fix short circuits and water damaged components. Poor research and a poor excuse for an answer....

My brother dropped my controller in the dogs water dish It touched the water a littlei tried shaking the water out and blow drying it was working earlier but it would turn off now it won't turn back on

v16440 will be eternally grateful.