Model A1419 / Late 2013 / 3.2 & 3.4 GHz Core i5 or 3.5 GHz Core i7 Processor

Going from an SSD to an HDD.

So I have a 250 gig SSD and I want to get some more storage but I don't want to buy an expensive SSD. I was wondering 2 things. 1) Can I go from an SSD to an HDD. 2) I read about adding an SSD so does that mean I can have both SSD and HDD installed?

Your system uses a custom SSD which is based on the newer M.2 standard. Sadly, there is no 3rd party options in swapping out your SSD with a bigger unit at the present time and it is a very big job to even get to the SSD slot so that is not an option for you. Here's the details in an IFIXIT guide: iMac Intel 27" EMC 2639 SSD Replacement.

With that said, you still have a standard SATA connection on your logic board to mount a standard 3.5" HD unit. Here is the IFIXIT guide for getting to it: iMac Intel 27" EMC 2639 Hard Drive Replacement. As you can see this is likewise a big job and requires some special tools. In addition you will need the mounting brackets, screws and special cable harness; and lastly, the correct HD as Apple HD's use a special internal temp sensor to control the systems fans. I don't recommend putting an SSD Vs a HD. But I do recommend a newer SSHD unit which will give you some improved performance over a standard HD.

OK, so what to do?

First given the amount of work and collecting all of the needed pieces will be a bit of a job (so far I don't know of anyone who offers a hardware kit) I think you will want to let an authorized Apple service center do the work as the have better access to the parts and have the needed tools. I must warn you this maybe expensive! Do you really need to have the drive internally?

Better option:

I would look at an external drive option using a Thunderbolt port connection. Frankly, a dual HD setup thats mirrored would be faster than most any internal HD you would put inside.

If you really wanted the internal HD I would think about selling your system and getting one that is better configured for your needs.

iMac Intel 27" EMC 2639 Hard Drive Replacement Image

Guide

iMac Intel 27" EMC 2639 Hard Drive Replacement

Difficulty: Moderate30 Minuten - 2 Stunden

iMac Intel 27" EMC 2639 SSD Image

Guide

iMac Intel 27" EMC 2639 SSD Replacement

Difficulty: Difficult1 - 3 hours

Anton Zelkin will be eternally grateful.