Lenovo ThinkPad T400 was a laptop introduced by IBM for corporate and commercial use. The T400 was released along with the T500 in July of 2008. Similar models include the 400, 410, 420, 510, and other models in the ThinkPad T series.

Are 16GB RAM (2x8Gb) possible on my Lenovo T400?

Have anyone tested 2x8GB RAM on a Lenovo Notebook Thinkpad T400? If yes, does it work? Any problems? Type of RAM Modules?

Thanks a lot!

Maritn

Here's what the Lenovo support doc states: Detailed specifications - ThinkPad R400, T400.

From what I can find this system is limited to 8 GB total RAM (2 x 4 GB modules). I don't see any references on anyone trying to push this system beyond that.

Remember your OS is also a factor here, you'll need a copy of a 64bit version of Windows before even trying more than 3 GB.

As long as you can return the memory you could give it a try. If you do, first try one 8 GB module first then try two. Please let us know what you discover.

Windows 7 Ultimate

X86

4 GB

X64

192 GB

Windows 7 Enterprise

X86

4 GB

X64

192 GB

Windows 7 Professional

X86

4 GB

X64

192 GB

Windows 7 Home Premium

X86

4 GB

X64

16 GB

Windows 7 Home Basic

X86

4 GB

X64

8 GB

Windows 7 Starter

X86

2 GB

You did not tell us which OS you have. So that limitation will depend on your OS.

Thanks OT! I forgot the Starter version only goes to 2 GB

I was able to upgrade my laptop to 16 GB.

2 pitfalls:

1. Corsair RAM does not play well despite Corsair's claims. Stick to either an OEM supplier or Crucial.

2. Both sticks of RAM must be the same size. Otherwise, you may see strange things on your screen. This is a known bug with the Intel chipset in this laptop.

I can't seem to edit my own answer. I should've written "laptop to 8 GB" and not "16 GB".

No, the maximum memory capacity of the ThinkPad is 8GB. One slot of memory can only hold up to 4GB, and this laptop model only has two memory card slots on board. Therefore, it is not possible to upgrade to 16GB of memory.

Martin Gschwendtner will be eternally grateful.