Repair and disassembly guides for electronic keyboards.

keyboard won't power with adaptor - yamaha ac power adaptor class 2 12

my yamaha keyboard has worked fine until now. when i went to turn it on, there was a brief light & then dark again. sometimes i don't even get a blip. does the same thing on other outlets. how can i tell if it's the adaptor or keyboard & how can i fix it? thanks

arch, I would do this be exclusion. Use a multimeter and measure the voltage on your adapter. The inside of the barrel is positive and the outside negative. Set your voltmeter to DC voltage and see what you get. A lot of times the wire around the barrel breaks and you may have to wiggle the wire a bit. Should your voltage be as required, it is safe to say your adapter is working as designed. Then you have a keyboard issue.

Most Helpful Answer

Hi @margarete ,

You will need to find an AC / DC adapter with the following specifications. Try local electronic spare parts stores or search online

INPUT - 100-240V AC 60Hz (Depending on where you are in Brazil you could also get a 127V AC 60Hz or a 220V AC 60 Hz Input Type

OUTPUT - 12V DC/ 2A (12 Volts DC 2000mA)

DC CONNECTOR SIZE - 2.1mm The DC output connector plug should be wired as a Positive Centre Tip type connection. An adapter power supply with a positive tip indicates that the centre (tip) of the output plug is positive (+) and the barrel of the output plug is negative (-). Here is an image which shows what to look for to ensure that the adapter's DC Output plug is a Centre positive tip. This picture is usually stamped on to the body of the unit or within the owners manual.

(click on image to enlarge for better viewing).

Hopefully this is of some help.

Thank you old turkey, I don't have a multimeter. Is there some other way to test the adaptor? when you say "wiggle the wire", do you mean the cord or do I need to strip something away? If a wire is actually broken, how do I access it to reconnect or is there something else I can do to fix the adaptor or is my only option to replace it? Thanks, again

My cord is fine. I tried more than one. It is the connection inside the keyboard that is loose. When I wiggle the cord, the power will come on. The little connector box inside is not study. Oh my god, my husband is going to sauder the thing to stable it. I hope he don't ruin it. This is my problem. I wanted to take it to be fixed.

Hi @stubb,

What is the make and model number of your keyboard? It may be that there is a replacement part available which will make it easier to replace the power socket in the keyboard than to attempt a repair on one that may be broken.

I have one Yamaha model PA-3B external AC power . I need to replace this model due to not find it a new one.

I am from Brazil, I need to know what is the replacement model that I can use it.

arch will be eternally grateful.