Nintendo handheld device released February 2011, identified by model number CTR-001.

Can I fix water damaged 3DS?

My sister dropped her 3DS in the toilet and after a few days spent in rice I decided to try turning it on. It charges fine but the power button doesn't work all the time, both screens have water marks on it and either the joypad or the D-pad is stuck to constantly scroll right, making it hard to play games. It functions fine on the main screen apart from the right direction being stuck and the power button only working occasionally.

Is there anything I can do to fix it or is it destined for the bin?

The best chance you have to fix this is to take it apart and clean it. I use 91% Isopropyl Alcohol and a toothbrush. I also have a small spray bottle that I use to spray on the motherboard then scrub it gently with a toothbrush. You want to remove any corrosion that has taken place. This will also help to prevent further corrosion.

The first thing that needs to be cleaned is the motherboard. After you clean it you need to let it dry for a while. I put mine on the window sill and let them dry in the sun for a couple hours. After it's dry, re install it and see what happens. This will give you a better idea of what else may need to be done.

Doing all of this may or may not help. I have not had a lot of success cleaning water damaged 3DS motherboards, but I have fixed some that way. Since yours still turns on you have a better chance of fixing it using this method.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions or need further help.

once my sister droped her phone in the pool then we put it in rice then we waited a couple minutes then there was rice inside the phone but we took it out it started working try putting it in rice for a couple minutes or so....

Score -1

Putting it in rice will do absolutely nothing...except make the problem worse because rather than taking the battery and motherboard out and cleaning the motherboard you'll be letting the liquid sit inside the device...corroding everything.

Rice does nothing to fix water damage, if any electronic device has come in contact with liquid the best thing to do is take it apart and clean any corrosion of the board/boards with isopropyl alcohol. https://youtu.be/yPeITOz2_YM

put in rice inside the 3ds and give it maybe a week.

Score -2

Lucy will be eternally grateful.