7.9 inch display iPad Mini, with 16, 32, or 64 GB of storage.

The iPad Mini home button is broken and doesn't click anymore.

The home button doesn't click anymore and has stopped working. There is no more mechanical feedback and the button does not bounce back after being depressed. Do I just need to replace the home button itself or the entire digitizer as well?

I'm not sure about this but you could try peeling off the homebutton cable with the help of a heatgun . But not the whole thing up to the soldering point.

Just lift the area where the homebutton is and see if it the culprit is the homebutton itself, or maybe dirt around it or if its the golden plate with the black dot in the middle.

Normally on the iphone 4(s) a malfunctioning powerbutton (yes not homebutton) has a faulty golden contact plate to be precise the black plasticdot in the middle has broken off or was pushed so often that it got flat. The homebutton on the ipad mini looks like having the same mechanics.

For the iphone's powerbutton you could order just this gold contact with the black dot and adhere it onto the cable. I saw people selling only the contact on ebay for a dollar.

Maybe its the same size and fits for the ipad mini too.

Otherwise you could order a new cable assembly and peel off the contact.

Or if you are not afraid of soldering you could just exchange the whole cable with the ordered part.

Hi Buco,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Would I first need to remove the front panel digitizer assembly before peeling off the homebutton with a heatgun?

I'm pretty sure it is the homebutton itself that is broken thanks to my 2-year old constantly pressing it so it would make sense that the black plastic dot has gone flat.

I'll do some sleuthing for the contact on ebay and order one as there is nothing to lose since its so darn cheap. :)

Again, thanks for your knowledgeable response and I (and I'm sure many others on the ifixit forum) really appreciate it!

Regards,

John

Home button assemblies are sold pre-soldered to the digitizer these days, but quality varies considerably. Since you have to pull the digitizer up anyway, you may just wish to replace the digitizer/home button assembly rather than attempt to replace just the home button actuator.

Jessa

Turn off your device and apply a very little rubbing alcohol to the home button , then press in and wiggle the button . Sometimes dirt can get in and make it stick . If it doesnt work first time try with alittle more rubbing alcohol till its freed up

the home button for the mini is about the worst design ever. Its held in place with glue and has to line up with a couple of very tiny studs. If things aren't lined up perfectly, you get the issue you are having. You are going to have to take the digitizer off to fix it. Once you get that off, press on the home button and you will see how its supposed to work. You can usually remove the old glue, line things back up, then put on new glue. If it were me though, I'd just replace the digitizer. Order a new one from a reputable seller like iFixit. The new one will come with the home button assembly installed. Chances are that when you pull up the old digitizer its will crack or you will get fingerprints on the inside. For a couple of bucks in parts you won't have to worry about all that and you will know that your problem will be solved.

john chong how did u break your iPad s homebutton

Just use five finger multi-touch and swipe together. Same as home button. Or turn on the assist button. No need to replace anything....it is not worth it unless you invest in a new model.

This is the answer I wanted. You are the real MVP!

I know it's a bit late of a response, but I was able to fix mine very easily. The button was not actually bent, but it got jammed when the iPad fell and landed where the button and metal case touch. One side was stuck in, and the edges were rough. I took a fine nail file and gently sanded away the rough edges, making sure not to get any metal dust/grit in the tiny slit around the button. Holding the iPad upside down and sanding from underneath helps. Then, I took a fine pin used for sewing and scraped along the slit, channeling out any tiny particles of metal that may have been jammed in there. As I did this, I'd push the button alternating each side to try and shimmy it out. The jammed side slowly loosened up, and it works again!

John Chong will be eternally grateful.