Microsoft's third-generation Xbox game console, released November 22, 2013.

My Xbox One's fan is making this weird noise

Hello iFixit!

This one issue I am having with my machine. It seems my fan is making this whirring noise, but it doesn't sound like it's physically grinding on anything, but something sounds off, some described it as simply a cheap fan making noise, but I am not sure...I know MS support is usually the best way to ask, but they have been unhelpful as I have went through 3 systems with the same exact issue; MS support keeps giveing mixed reponses between "that is normal" and "send it in".

Seeing how you guys are experts in technology, I said why not give it a shot and post this haha.

Anyway, I have found a video with the EXACT noise I am having (and apparently others also) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQaBr_xI...

I would really appreciate ANY input; whether is it normal or not, and should I worry about it, etc.. Thank you so much in advance, and again, I am such a huge fan of you guys!

Most Helpful Answer

It's most likely the console's system fan. Since it seems to be a common problem, I wouldn't worry about it too much, but if you're really concerned, there is a course of action that you can take. The first thing that I would recommend is lubricating it with a mineral oil, don't use WD40 for this. You'll need to disassemble the console to the point where you have access to the top of the motherboard, such as step 10 of this guide. I can't tell from the pictures, but it looks like you can remove the plastic fan assembly from the heatsink. Do that, and then use this procedure to lubricate the system fan. That should quiet the fan down and possibly extend it's life.

Actually upon some further inspection, I've found that you don't need to remove the fan from the heatsink. Just remove the black sticker on the top of the fan assembly and lubricate there.

Thank you so much for the answer!

Since opening it will break warranty, and I'm really not that savvy with any machines, in your honest opinion, do you think if I leave it be as it is, would it cause any issues in the future?

I asked around my group of friends and they all have the noise, and I asked around forums and even after getting a new unit/or their unit repaired, they said it still had the noise; making it a very common issue.

But, anyway, thank you so much for answering, much appreciated!

In your situation, I personally wouldn't worry about it. If the noise ever gets worse, then maybe it may be a good idea to look into repair. For the time being though, don't stress over it.

I had this same noise. So I gently tapped in the middle of the fan vent and it stopped clicking.

Hi guys

My one has been doing this since out of the box. Progressively getting louder. Now my unit started ticking and it litterly went poof. Not a joke. So I'm sending mine away

Just a warning if it's getting worse back up what you can and be prepared for the worst.

something to try is turn the console off, then check all point of the power cable. blow dry then hover the vents on the power brick to remove all the dust. worked for me. just try and keep the brick well ventilated. also try blow drying and hovering the console just to be safe

Can someone help me. Mine makes a very loud noise like something is getting scratched even when there is no game in it. on certain games if I look in a specific direction it stops. It's very annoying my family even complains about it.

my fan just whirrs really loud and it even does it when it is off. help please. ive had to unplug it at this point because it just wont stop

it is an xbox one s

I know what to do basicly you got to contact Microsoft and tell them to send a Xbox one shipping for free because your Xbox has a broke disc drive and it can't be solved by yourself and there is no way you can fix it that you have looked for forms to help you with it and it doesn't work pls help " say that and they should send you a Xbox shipping free in your mail so u can play Xbox again! It worked for me . Hopefully I helped you bro sorry you have to pass through that!

Lorenzo will be eternally grateful.