The MacBook family was first introduced in May 2006 and replaced the iBook as Apple's consumer laptop.

Charging port burnt out, is there an inexpensive way to replace it?

The port for the charger in my MacBook is all burnt out, we've tried cleaning it (toothbrush and alcohol) and getting new chargers (60W). It's been dead for about a year now, and I've decided I finally want to fix it. Is there an inexpensive way to replace it without having to solder or do anything complex?

Please somebody answer this. I have the same problem on a "macbook air 11inch" (i5 4GB ram shipped with Lion) (mid 11)

@chrisgreen Thanks for the effort to write a guide. I wish you could add a similar guide for my model which is mentioned in my previous comment.

By using silver polish and a Q tip. One can clean and polish the port contact nodes which result in the removal of oxidized metal particles.

Luckily for you, the MagSafe connector is independent from the motherboard on all three versions of the MacBook. If you have the first generation Non-Unibody MacBook, you can use this guide for Core Duo Models or this guide for Core 2 Duo models. If you have an aluminum unibody MacBook, you can use this guide, and if you have the plastic unibody MacBook (the last model), you can use this guide. You'll need to make sure that you buy the correct replacement part for whichever laptop you have, they're pretty cheap. If you tell me your MacBook's model number, I can help you find the correct part and guide to use for it. Good luck!

MacBook Core 2 Duo Magsafe Board Image

Guide

MacBook Core 2 Duo Magsafe Board Replacement

Difficulty: Moderate30 minuten - 2 uren

MacBook Unibody Model A1342 MagSafe Board Image

Guide

MacBook Unibody Model A1342 MagSafe Board Replacement

Difficulty: Moderate10 - 30 minuten

I checked the model, and it's an A1342. We're going to take a look at the guide you supplied, if we need any help then we'll ask!

Just a quick note think chris green has answered this question brilliantly and shows images on what to do which helps novices like me. Thankyou

I have the same problem. My charging port is burn. I bought a new charger and after a month or two it stopped working. I have the 13 inch early 2011 macbook pro. Can you help me with the replacement I have to buy and the guide I have to follow. Thanks in advance.

Hi! I have exactly the same problem, My charger died, I got a new one but I think the problem is the charging port... I have a 13inch late 2011 macbook pro. No idea where to go or how to repair it >.<

Help I don't kno which guide to use and I can't get the model # cuz my Mac been off for awhile now also every thing under the Mac is worn out and the only other # that is actually written on there with a sharper reads "4H6201MKU9C" and idk if that's the model # help please

That happened to my MacBook, I went to Apple Store and it was only $13.00 canadian dollars to fix... and they give you a discount on the charger if you bring your old one, and it cost me only $60.00 when its usually 100, also they discounted the Hardware Repair Labor which is an other 40

Gee, have you figured out why they are so nice to you? Think they would give an old man the same discounts? Yes there is discrimination in this world, sometimes it's the reverse of what you think it is.

I'm no computer expert, and may be wrong here, but having had the 'burning-out' problem myself I suspect I at least know the reason, and therefore the remedy, provided you catch the problem early enough.

The 'male' part of the MagSafe port, or the end which plugs into the computer has five metal contacts. These each have a tiny spring under them to ensure a contact is made. If, for any reason, these become stuck, the contact may not reach its corresponding female part in the computer, causing it to fail to connect, or to arc, and it will be this arc-ing which causes the burning. If the contacts in your computer are not beyond redemption, they can be scraped clean (I used a jewellers screwdriver) and a new charging lead purchased. In my case I managed to free-up the two stuck male pins, but suspect this will be a temporary fix. I'll keep checking my new lead when I get it!

@wordssmith100 - Frank, often the cords are damaged on the MagSafe charger which shorts out the sensor line. If the cord is damaged in any way bumps, frayed or outer jacket cut best to replace the charger and if the pins are melted or damaged that too! If you don't you could also damage the logic board in your MacBook or MacBook Pro

Damon will be eternally grateful.