Released April 2010 / 2.4, 2.53 GHz Core i5 or 2.66, 2.8 GHz Core i7 Processors

Upgrade to 16Gb maybe possible but which RAM do I need?

I see in a previous answer from @Nathanael that we can do an upgrade to 16GB if we've got the last version of the EFI SMC and the last version of Mac Os : Maverick.

I'm pretty close to do it but, I haven't find any RAM in 1066Mhz with 8Go, I only find 1333Mhz RAM.

I just want to know if i can put 1333Mhz RAM instead of 1066Mhz RAM and if it change something.

I see that Nathanel did it but don't know the RAM used.

Thank you for your help.

Double check your system by putting the last three digits into this web site: EveryMac. It will tell you the systems limits. I don't think your system can go to 16GB only upto 8GB. The MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.2 17" Early 2011 can be boosted to 16GB.

Yes, 1333 MHz PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM will work. Just make sure you have the correct type and replace both modules with a matched pair.

I will check the digits this evening.

But, I'm surprised because in this "answer", Nathanael says that it does that with the same system I have :

16 GB possible with OS X Mountain Lion or Mavericks?

Also as an update. with Mavericks installed, I upgraded and ran 16GB on a 2010 17" Macbook Pro (2.53Ghz i5 with nVidia GT330M 512MB) which were all previously software limited to only 8GB!!

As soon as I've got the digits, I will reply.

Yes it's confusing as this system was a transitional system. The first ones could not be upgraded as the address lines were not wired within the controller chip (Intel cut them as the chip had a defect which caused errors). Apple likewise limited the address within the EFI. The end of the model year Apple got a corrected chip from Intel and later enabled the addresses within the EFI firmware. Sadly, many systems still can't address the upper memory with the first gen of logic board.

Guilmo will be eternally grateful.