Apple's line of MacBook Pro laptops was intended for the professional and power users. The MacBook Pro line includes the MacBook Pro 13" Unibody, MacBook Pro 15", MacBook Pro 15" Unibody, MacBook Pro 17", and the MacBook Pro 17" Unibody.

Repartitioning fails in Internet recovery: is the HD salvageable?

Internal HD failure in Early 2011 unibody. Had recent-enough backups (of individual important files, not Time-Machine-formatted), so decided to just reinstall from Internet Recovery. The HD showed in Disk Utility, but showed as a single unformatted partition. Okay, reformat the drive. This gave the "Unable to write to last block" error

On a few subsequent tries, it seems that the internal hard drive will show (unformatted) if I enter Disk Utility immediately, but will not show if I quit and re-enter Disk Utility (without a backup), nor will it show in the Reinstall utility. DU shows no problems recognizing the external HD or optical drive, so it's unique to that drive.

So: is the drive totally borked? I can try to set up the external to boot from, but I imagine it would throw a similar error. I opened up the case and checked that the HD cable and bracket weren't loose or dusty, but I didn't look for anything more specific than that.

Put the drive in an external enclosure or use a Universal adapter. This will bypass the suspect hard drive/IR cable that are notorious for failure.

kdonahoe will be eternally grateful.