Volume buttons not working after battery replacement

Used the iFixit kit to replace a faulting iPhone 5 battery. I can hardly say the repair went smoothly, but after I got everything back together and powered the phone on I am getting no response from either of the volume buttons. The mute switch works fine, and the buttons still provide tactile feedback with no sticking. So I am wondering if this is likely a result of the flex cable being nicked or if it's possible something was plugged back in correctly while I was reassembling the phone. I have already tried the trick of repeatedly pressing the buttons to see if they will eventually register with no success, so I can't help but think that it has to be a hardware issue.

Seems like you have damaged the volume flex it runs under the battery

Yeah, Flex damaged. Under the top right corner of battery you'll see a black flex stuck down. When you reinserted the battery you nicked that flex probably and tore it slightly leaving you with partial functionality.

If you found replacing the battery tricky you're not going to like replacing that flex so take it in to a repair shop and let them do it properly.

I have the same problem however only the volume down button will not work. HOWEVER, it will work if you apply some bending pressure to the entire phone (read it on another forum) while using the down button. This tells me that the flex isn't damaged, otherwise it wouldn't work at all. There have been many others with this exact issue. Mine is a little different than the OP but thought I would note this. Has anyone found a fix for this issue?

I had a problem with the vibrator not working after battery and front camera replacement. I then replaced the vibrator, which still did not work, but I also lost the volume buttons and the mute switch. I didn't think I damaged the flex cable, as I was very careful and don't recall doing anything that could have damaged the flex cable. I decided to have another look at the connectors for the front camera, digitizer, etc. Turns out that the volume control and vibrator cable got detached - I snapped it back on, and got everything working again. So suggestion - before replacing the flex cable, check the connector first. The connector is located in the same area as the connectors for digitizer, screen and front camera.

carsonflores will be eternally grateful.