How to lift up upper case?

I tried to replace the HD but can't open the case... !?!

I used this manual, worked great until step 9:

"...Once you have freed the sides, you may need to rock the case up and down to free the front of the upper case."

The very front is pretty hard attached. Mainly from the top of the optical drive to the IR sensor. it's just bending the upper case if i try harder...

I've never opened the MacBook before. Is there some tape, brackets or something? Any suggestions?

thx!

alex

Most Helpful Answer

Use a stiff plastic card and lever it carefully around the front. Above the optical drive the case is secured by some plastic prongs. These are sometimes tricky to get apart. You can (carefully) stick the card into the machine on the right hand side, next ti the optical and apply some levering pressure from there to loosen the case.

Spudgers are designed for this.

Thanks, everybody!

I bent my spudger and almost broke my creditcard ;-)

Finally I just tried harder and bent up the whole uppercase... at a point it cracked out loud. Thought that it's broken now, but it just sticked together like it was glued... finally got my HD and the optical drive replaced and added some extra RAM... my MacBook runs now like a new one :-)

thx,

alex

ps: I highly recommend a 7200rpm drive if you replace the original HD... it's much faster!!

Are you sure you got all the other screws? Because if you missed even one it would prevent the removal of the upper case.

yes, just double-checked with the manual; got all the 21 screws...

An other ideas?

Lift from the back first, next to the screen. There are tabs that fit into the front (closest to you) and it opens like a hinge.

Alex will be eternally grateful.