Why would the home button work, but not Touch ID?

I own a small Apple repair business, and have done a large number of iPhone screen repairs... everything from the iPhone 3G up to the iPhone 5S. I have only done a handful of 5S repairs thus far though, and haven't had any issues until now. The problem I'm having with a customer's phone is with Touch ID. Now, I'm fully aware that the home button flex cable that ships with a 5S is unique to that particular phone, and cannot be replaced while still preserving Touch ID functionality. Repairs don't generally make me nervous anymore, but 5S repairs do because of this....so, I'm extremely careful.

With this particular 5S, I successfully replaced the screen, only to discover that the part was faulty (defective digitizer). However, I know that Touch ID was functioning after this first screen was installed because I did test. I then installed another new part, everything went well and the part tested fine this time. I did not specifically test Touch ID functionality, but I do know that the home button was working. I've always figured that if the home button is working, then Touch ID is going to function.

The customer called me today to let me know that Touch ID is indeed not functioning at all, but the home button is. This seems very strange to me, and the only thing I can think of is that I didn't get the home button flex cable connector properly seated when I put everything back together. I will have a chance to open the phone back up tomorrow, but in the mean time I was trying to do a little research on potential causes for this as well as potential fixes. Of course, my hope is that removing the bracket, disconnecting, and reconnecting the flex cable will do the trick. Of course, unfortunately the simple solution isn't always the answer.

Numerous searches on here, Google, and other websites have turned up nothing with regards to this problem. Everything I can find relates to the unique relationship between the original home button cable and the motherboard, but that's it. I did find one person that had Touch ID functionality, but no home button functionality. Similar but still different enough to not be too helpful.

So...any ideas out there? Has anyone else come across this issue? Thanks in advance for any help!

Have you replaced the old home button cable? Maybe you can try to register the fingerprint again.

No, this is still the original home button cable. Probably the first thing that I will do is delete current fingerprint data and have the customer try to register again. If that doesn't work, then I'll reseat the cable. It seems to me that if the cable was damaged, then the home button wouldn't function at all...unless I damaged a particular IC on the cable that only relates to Touch ID function.

I suppose if neither of those things work, looks like I'm going to be buying my customer a new iPhone 5S!

How did it go? from the explanation above sounds like most likely that the cable is not inserted all the way. I have had them do the same thing (home button function but not touch ID) due to not having the cable seated properly. Let us know what resolves the issue.

to add to that, do a hard reset as well, sometimes this irons out the weirdest of problems. Anyway let us know :)

Thanks for adding that...it's comforting to know that someone else has experienced this, and the simple fix was the answer!

The customer isn't coming in until this evening, but I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

The problem was indeed that the home button flex cable was not seated correctly. Simply disconnecting the cable and reseating solved the problem.

So if you come across this, no need to panic, chances are the home button flex cable just wasn't connected properly.

Did you do a hard reset or just a reset ? Thanks

Hi.

I have a customer with an iphone 6 where i did replace the screen and move the original home button to the new screen. After installation the touch id does not function. I have replaced the long connector cable on the back plate, still no luck. Also i have disconnected the home button and connected it again + a reset of the phone (homebutton + off) any suggestions too a succesfull repair?

i have aq problem with finger print sensor it showing that faied try again go back can u plz help me

i have a problem with touchid 5s

it is showing " touch id failed please come back and try again"

any suggestions!

Just re-connect the home button and do the hard reset

it will work :)

no luck :/ I think i may have torn the home button flexcable..

if that happen just turn off and on the device . it require restart the device when you change lcd . do not remove lcd without turning off the device.

Inspect the cable and connector for visual damage and reconnect the parts.

My Touch ID won't work at all,it acts like my finger isn't even on it and I deleted my finger print and tried to put it on agin and it still won't work

I got the same problem. It doesn't even show notification that I cant use touch id, the home button is fine.

iGuys will be eternally grateful.