The Kenmore Elite HE3 is 7.2 cu. ft. capacity electric dryer by Kenmore.

Why is my dryer is overheating..

ok now my dryer is over heating on all cycles?? what would be causing this problem.. replacing the thermal fuse made the dryer run a cycle but only HOT air is coming out.. when the cycle is done the clothes are too hot to touch.. please help

so can those 2 things be replaced??

yes they can be replaced

Nena, this could be caused by a bad thermostat or a failed thermal cutoff/ The thermal cutoff is a non-resettable device. The cutoff temperature is 178°C (352°F). Of course clean your dryer vents and make sure the airflow is not obstructed.

Heating Element

A defective heating element can make a dryer too hot. If the element partially shorts out, it can produce heat all the time, regardless of whether the dryer is calling for heat. Remove the heating element to inspect it. The coils should not be touching each other or anything else.

Other Causes and Conditions

Air Flow Problem

Dryers need good ventilation to work properly. If the vent is clogged it can make the dryer too hot. Clean all of the vent tubing thoroughly.

Cycling Thermostat

Although not common, a defective cycling thermostat can make the dryer too hot. The cycling thermostat is supposed to turn on and off the heat to maintain the proper temperature. If the thermostat is defective it may keep the heat on too long. The thermostat is not adjustable or repairable, it must be replaced.

Felt Seal

Most dryers have a felt seal at the front and rear of the drum to keep the heat inside the drum. If the felt seal is worn away or missing, the dryer may keep heating and make the dryer too hot. This is not common.

Blower Wheel

A defective blower wheel will not spin properly and will not vent the hot air, making the dryer too hot. Check to see if there is adequate airflow out of the dryer.

Thanks - my dryer started overheating as soon as it was turned on. It is an older Kenmore so I have replaced about everything on it - but have never had this symptom before. Sure enough, when I took out the heating element and inspected it, one of the insulators had come off and the coil was touching the frame creating a short circuit (it broke loose easily but looked a little like a spot weld). I manipulated the coil a little bit and put the insulator back in place and it works normally again. Since I have no idea why the insulator came off in the first place, I am ordering a new heating element - it has been about a decade since I put this one in.

John

Nena will be eternally grateful.