Kenmore Elite HE3 Dryer

The Kenmore Elite HE3 is 7.2 cu. ft. capacity electric dryer by Kenmore.

Dryer won't start. No error codes. Replaced thermal fuse, door switch.

My dryer won't start. The red lights work and light inside work, so it has power. I replaced the thermal fuse and door switch. No luck. The panel lights work normally. After I select the dryer setting and start it, it beeps, but doesn't start. I don't here any noises after the beep, nor do I see the drum move. I do hear a click coming from the area of the PC board as it beeps. Also, the fan spins freely, so there doesn't appear to be anything obstructing it. The drum turns by hand. The belt is attached and in good working order. I checked the PC board. No obvious signs of being burnt. I suspect the motor is bad, but don't want to replace it if that isn't the problem. Is there way to further diagnose the dryer or the motor specifically? Thank you.

i have the same problem; i ran an extension cord to another outlet and still the same problem. any other advise? Kevin - did you ever fix the dryer? was it the motor?

by Phil van Haaster

I have the same problem but only 3 of my panel lights work. Sometimes if I hold the start button long enough I can get it to start, but not any more. Outlet works, light comes on inside and beeps when I try to start it on those 3 settings but nothing happens. Is it the control panel?!

by Tpitzer

Most Helpful Answer

Use a multimeter to test the wall plug. You should have 2 polls giving 110-120 volts each and a ground. It sounds like you may only have one side hot and the other not.

UPDATE 1/15/16

\Cause 1

Thermal Fuse

The thermal fuse is a safety device designed to protect the dryer from overheating. The fuse is located on the blower housing or at the dryer’s heat source such as the heating element on electric dryers or at the burner on gas models. The fuse should be closed for continuity meaning it has a continuous electrical path through it when good. If overheated the fuse will have no continuity meaning the electrical path is broken and the fuse has blown out. A multimeter can be used to test it for continuity. Be aware that a blown thermal fuse is an indication of a restricted exhaust vent from the dryer to the outside. Always check the dryer venting when replacing a blown thermal fuse.

Cause 2

Start Switch

To determine if the start switch is defective, attempt to start the dryer. If the dryer hums but does not start, the start switch is not at fault. If the dryer does not respond or make any noise, the start switch could be at fault. Use a multimeter to test the start switch for continuity. If the switch does not have continuity, replace it.

Cause 3

Door Switch

The door switch activates when the dryer door is closed. On most dryers, the door switch makes an audible clicking sound when it activates. To determine if the door switch is working, try starting your dryer and then listen for the “click.” If the door switch makes a clicking sound, it is probably not defective. If you don’t hear a click, use a multimeter to use the door switch for continuity. If the switch does not have continuity, replace it.

i checked the awl plug as well as ran an extension cord to another outlet and both are giving 10-120 volts.

I have the same problem. And replaced the door switch like I was told. Nothing wrong with the outlet because I have an old dryer plugged in and using it for now. This thing is making me crazy trying to figure it out. I really don't want to trash it if it is something simple. Has anyone figured it out yet?

Displaying check dryer vent! Has been totally cleaned out everything works as it should, all lights light upas they should. Dryer won't start!! Is there a reset somewhere we are missing or how do I clear out the sensor?? Got us stumped over this, please help

by deb dobbs

I have the same issue. Everything lives up, make my selection, press start, and the check lint light comes on, it beeps, and will not start.

by ddesrosi

We are having the same issue with our Kenmore HE3. Has anyone figured it out? We bought a new motor and replaced, but same issue. Checked the door switch, , thermal fuse and start button and all are fine. Have proper power at the plug and correct power to the motor, but will not come on. We ran through diagnostics and no error codes were given. Don't know where to turn at this point.

by cheryl Fuller

Check the rear groin panel for spider, chigger, common in groin. Is good then deal. Is OK. Yes?

Score -1

Kevin will be eternally grateful.