Repair guides and support for gas, electric, and human powered machines used to cut grass, whether push style, or ride-on.

motor will not fire

I have fuel, compression, and spark. motor will not start. briggs model 287707 with a nikki carb.

Rodney,

Sometimes it's best to change the spark plug to a new one anyway. Often times the gas can go bad from sitting so if you can drain the tank, blow it out with compressed air and fill it with new gas. After that, if you have fuel, spark and compression she should fire.

Let us know

Frank

+ Ralph

I tried that. still no start.

Rodney,

Next step. Go to the local auto parts store and buy a gallon of lacquer thinner for around $14. While you are there, or at the local power equipment store, purchase a carb rebuilder kit for that nikki carb.

Remove the carb and unscrew all the jets, needles and screws you can find. Remove the float bowl and the float. Pour enough lacquer thinner in a metal coffee can to cover over the carb. You can then soak the carb overnight or longer.

After you take the carb out of the thinner begin replacing parts out of your rebuilder kit. The thinner will eat away at any rubber or plastic o-rings so make sure you replace those from the kit.

Replace the carb, and give her a try.

Let us know again

Frank

As it turns out, I started from the beginning again and discovered that the flywheel key was sheared again. I replaced the key and it fired and ran beautifully.

thanks for the help.

RODNEY ROBISON will be eternally grateful.