0

Christopher Vaughan
1

Possible to buy upper case without the keyboard or trackpad?

I see that a replacement UPPER CASE for my mid-2010 Macbook Pro will run $349, but it also includes a trackpad and keyboard. My brother dropped my laptop and left a sizable dent in the upper case, but that's the only thing that's damaged. Everything works perfectly, including the keyboard and trackpad, but I have a huge dent in my otherwise still perfect computer. My question is: "Is it possible to purchase an upper case for my laptop without purchasing the superfluous keyboard and trackpad?" I see that about 95% of these cases that you guys replace have had some sort of alcoholic beverage poured into them requiring the replacement of the lot. So, I just assumed that's why you're packaging them all together like that...

3

mayer
MacHale Enterprises

The keyboards and trackpads are replaceable on the 15" machines but not on the 13" machines. I use an electric screwdriver to remove the (about 65) screws. Dan is right, it's a risk replacing the keyboard and a bit tedious. Removal and installation takes me about two hours and you do need to take care not to rip the black plastic bottom cover. There should be lots of them on eBay, if you can't find one, I probably have one in stock.

CORRECTION: I found that the 2010 13" EMC 2351 does have a removable keyboard. It may be that just the earlier A1278 had riveted keyboards or it could be different factories assemble them differently. I will keep this updated as I see more boards.

mayer,

1

Dan

Sorry, no.

Besides, you don't want to risk damaging the keyboard parts that are mounted to the case trying to transfer them over.

Mayer is correct you can buy both the keyboard & trackpad as spares either from Apple or other sources. The issue you have is you need the case part not the keyboard or trackpad. Thats the rub here you can't get the cover alone.

Dan,