A digital SLR camera by Nikon sold between 2005 and 2006.

Why are my cameras pictures black?

I got this camera from a friend and he warned me it had this problem. How can I fix it?

Most Helpful Answer

It can be several things.

1: You will need to know if the sensor is working. Try to make very long exposures, starting with somthing like a second in daylight going on to 10 seconds in daylight.

If nothing registres on the sensor i would fault the sensor / body.

2: If anything registrers on the sensor, i would look at the aperture. It could be stuck aperture blades in the lens or a stuck aperture "lever" on the camerabody

You can also try removing the battery and memory card for a few minutes, and reinsert to see if that solves the issue.

In the menu settings try to do a reset for the camera

Find the reset switch located on the bottom of the camera

If you can't find it, see page 120 of the D50 manual

This is a hard reset of the Camera.

This has to be asked because it has happened in the past.....is the lens cap off?

Yes the lens cap is off. In the past I removed the memory card and reinserted it and it fixed the problem temporarily.

i just got a nikon d50 this week i have the same problem ...any know whats the problem i just put a new 2gb sd card in everything seems to be ok , just black pics all the time...

I gave my old D50 to a friend for Christmas and he brought it back to me on July 4 asking why photos were black. I changed SD cards, lenses and took out the battery and still, black photos. I called an "authorized Nikon repair shop" in Atlanta, GA, and found out that it may be the shutter. I plan on taking it there since I'm not the fix-it type. Hope this helps.

Martin Peters will be eternally grateful.