Repair and disassembly guides for Brother printers.

Brother Printer MFC 255CW Black ink won't print?

I haven't used my printer for some time so the cartridges had dried up. I was advised to soak the black cartridge in warm water for a few minutes which I did. It still didn't work when I reinserted it so I bought a full, new set of cartridges (not Brother!). The other colours are fine but the black won't print at all, not a glimmer.

Brother have said they can't help because I haven't used there cartridges.

Is it time to throw it away?

Any advice will help - thanks you

Most Helpful Answer

1.) Press and hold the Home button for 7 to 10 seconds until the touchscreen display changes to show the Serial #, ROM Version, and Printed Pages.

2.) Press and hold in the blank rectangle displayed under 3. Print Page for 2-3 seconds.

3.) This will change the touchscreen display to a keypad.

4.) Using the numeric keypad on the touchscreen display press *, 0, # in that order. The touchscreen will display '0 Maintenance' in the top left corner.

5.) Press 7, 6, 4. The top left corner will change to 'uINIT_P ALL'.

6.) Press the Left Arrow at the bottom left corner until the display changes to show 4 arrows on the top row of the chart.

7.) If the affected color is only Black, press the ◄ or ► key on the top row until the display changes to 'uINIT_P BLACK'.

8.) Then press Mono Start on the touchscreen to begin the User Reset Purge.

This definitely worked! The black wasn't even showing up on my print quality check sheet. After I did this, it showed up but with gaps so I had to clean it again. Thanks so much, it was driving me NUTS.

This worked!! Thank you so very much. Genius!

By the way, this was on my Brother J4420DW

I just created an account on this website for the sole purpose of thanking you @vannoi! Thankfully I know that when a Brother printer tells you it won't work, it's often lying, so I knew to persevere on finding a solution to my new black ink not printing. You were one of a very, very, very few people who knew and posted the solution to this one. Now I don't have to put my foot through my printer...although I may just to teach it a lesson. Thanks again.

Worked fine on J6920DW - many thanks.

First step is to see if it will print a test page

Go to Start, settings, printers. Right click on the printer, properties, print test page.

If that doesn't work there should be a head cleaning option in properties that will make it clean the print heads.

Next would be to make sure the contact points are clean, take a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol and dab the contact points to ensure they are clean.

Thanks for responding. I've already done the head cleaning process more than half a dozen times but it makes not a jot of difference. Test page prints fine in other colours but no black!

I'll try cleaning the contact points - can I use white spirit?

Christine Hurst will be eternally grateful.