700R4 transmission

The TH (turbo-hydramatic) 700R4 was developed for use after 1982 in GMC and Chevrolet cars and trucks.

will not shift into 3rd just slips.

I installed a 700r4 in my 60 chevy. It only shifts 1st to 2nd it slips when it goes to 3rd. does this have any thing to do with the TV cable not being conected?

Jack, mine has that problem too, slips after 2nd. I am about to put another 700R4 in there and I can report back after the install. - Frank

by 040304

My 1982 Vette is now having the same issue. I changed the fluid and filter, drove about 30 miles and now it will not shift into 3rd. She only has 40K miles on her. Is this common after a fluid/filter change for this tranny?

by Ray

my 83 chevy doing the say thing but stays in 1st

by southernman198

my 84 trans am is doing the same thing and i cant figure out why

by jason robbins

My 86 gmc sierra doesnt shift until 3500 rpm cant even manually shift it am i doing something wrong

by dalton schonneker

Most Helpful Answer

Just a heads up for you guys. Being a former Chevrolet Technician I can tell you that is a common failure on the early model 700R4. Up until 1993 the trans used a TV cable for throttle input to the trans. In 1993 the trans was redesigned and now has shift solenoids for shift control. No longer does it have a TV cable or Governor. The Governor was for road speed and the TV cable was for throttle input. Now the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) and the TPS (throttle position sensor) are the inputs to the TCM or PCM depending on model year to control shifts. The electronic control module will calculate the proper shifts on variations of these two inputs. The early 700R4 had numerous design changes to make it more robust. But one of the best changes was when it went to electronic shift control in 1993. The line pressure was now also controlled electronically and enhanced the longivity of this trans. I speak from personal experience as we repaired the early model frequently for burned 3-4 clutch plates which is very likely the problem the earlier posters had. At times it was not known just what caused the loss of pressure to burn the plates as there are a number of factors involved. I just came across this site and I see the posts are old but decided to add this note in case someone in the future would come here. Good luck :)

Thank You For IMFO.

by georgeakrn2

Thankyou for the info. I have a 1989 chevy van with this same transmission...same problem. No third gear. Today I just put it in the shop for a 1200 dollar rebuild. For a few months I couldnt afford this...yet I needed my vehicle on a daily basis. Hence...I got very good at driving with just first and second without over-revving. Best to stay on back roads with speeds of no higher than 25mph...until transmission overhaul can be made.

by jakestarrastrella

jake mine to i can only do 25mph too

by southernman198

A little history: I rebuilt the 700 in my 89 K1500 and it was doing great. I put about a 1000 miles on it, when I noticed when driving it my gas milage dropped off and it felt like the brakes were applied. I pulled the truck up an incline shifed to netural and it just sit there. I had to put it into reverse to get it to move down hill. I some troubleshooting and found the lock rear end was binding up. This put a load on my drive train and the transmission was running hot. This also had an effect on the shift up/down. Might consider checking the fluid level in the rear end and dirty fluid. I am curious as to what the GM tranny guy thinks about this? Thanks to all.

by jsaddler1

I'm having trouble with my 93 suburban and can't figure it out. It just happened.

by David

Jack,

Check out this thread about the 700R4. I am having the same problem with mine and I am replacing it with a unit from Craigslist.

Good luck

There are no "shifting modules" inside the transmission. As Mr Zimmerman stated, the later units(renamed as 4L60E) used electronic shifting and pressure controls. The module which controls the transmission may be part of the PCM(controls engine and transmission) or a TCM(controls just the transmission). The transmission in this case will contain pressure switches, a torque converter clutch solenoid, shift control solenoids and a duty cycle controlled pressure control solenoid.

The earlier 700R4 and non electronic 4L60 were controlled by a hydraulic valve body and received throttle input, as stated above, from the TV cable. This cable is often mistaken for a "kick down" cable as used in the TH350. The TV cable in the 700 plays a much more important role than simply commanding forced down shift. It is crucial in controlling line pressure to the hydraulic components of the transmission and incorrect adjustment will affect shift behavior and leads to early failure.

The 3-4 clutch pack is a common failure item in this transmission, due mostly to the design of the input drum where the 3-4 clutch resides. The clutch pack installs at the rvery rear of the drum and is held in place by a snap ring. The thin backing plate of the clutch holds back the apply pressure with only the snap ring to keep it in place. The backing plate flexes under this pressure rather than maintain even pressure on the clutches. The clutches slip and burn up.

For years, builders of this unit have tried to work through this, using various hi performance clutch designs. There is a new part available from the Sonnax company named the "Smart Tech input drum that appears to offer a permanent solution to the problem. This is especially important when the unit will be used in a racing or heavy duty application, behind a hi output motor.

There are several other items that affect the 3-4 clutch as well. The 3rd gear accumulator, which is part of the 2nd gear servo assembly, absorbs the shock of the 3-4 clutch apply. The accumulator is a piston with a sealing ring around it. If the sealing ring fails, apply pressure to the clutch will bleed off and the clutch will slip and burn. If the 2nd gear band servo doesn't release quickly enough when 3rd gear applies, the 3-4 clutch pack will burn up. If the trans oil pump doesn't produce sufficient pressure, the clutches will slip and burn. The input shaft is also a conduit for oil pressure from the pump to the various clutches. Sealing rings are used to isolate the circuits from each other. If these sealing rings leak. Pressure will bleed between circuits and cause clutches to slip and burn.

Is a good explanation I try other sugestions and this is the most right .

I have the same problem with a 4L60E 2002 Chevy Silverado 4.8 L. The sugestions give I'm going to do ( Sonnax)

by Ramiro

The TV cable MUST be installed and connected to the throttle arm and adjusted properly for the transmission to operate properly. Failure to do this will result in slipping shifts and poor performance and will eventually result in transmission failure. Cable brackets and cables are available on Jegs or Summit to enable proper TV cable geometry/travel.

Adjustment is easily done once the cable is properly installed, press in on the side of the adjuster body (a button like thing, its metal) on the throttle end and push the adjuster all the way into the adjuster body. Release the "button" and slowly open the throttle completely by hand, it will be a bit tight doing so. The adjuster will come out of the adjuster body to the proper distance, and you're all set.

thanks for all the new info do think that i have the same problem as you talked about above. i have a 1990 s10 4x4 with 4.3 motor. it shifts great but then starts to slip in 3rd and over drive almost as if its in neutral but if i shift it to 2nd gear then back to drive it works then starts to slip again and only revs when i give it gas so i shift it down by hand again to 2nd and back to drive it works for a few then it does the same thing like its not in gearthe fluids good not burnt and all gears work fine just acts like its going in and out of gear can you give me any clue what may be the problem with it buddy

I have had the same problem before.. It sounds like the seals are leaking and not applying adequate pressure to the clutch packs. I know it's a no no but I put about a cup and a half of brake fluid in mine and it made it work.. When it quits, hopefully it will be warm and I will rebuild or replace it.. I was not out to try it.. Some people say that it makes seals mushy.. It fixed mine.. for how long I am not sure..

Good Luck

Dan

4 speed with lockup

Sometimes if your kickdown cable isn't connected/ adjusted right it will falter through gears

Two possibilities. The TV cable is adjusted improperly. There could be air in the valve body fluid. Do a search for adjusting the TV cable first.

before you replace it there is electronic shifting modules in it you might want to drop the pan replace that module and your filter

does the 700r4 have three or four gears. Is it a three speed with a lock up converter or four speed with a lock up converter?

Hi guys im kinda new here but i have a couple of questions, im buying a 1980's chevy k20 with a 350 block which does not run because of a battery problem. The guy im buying it from told me that he has a 700R4 in it but it slips on the 3rd gear. I was wondering how expensive that would be to fix if it was worth fixing. Please keep in mind that this is my FIRST truck and I have little knowledge on this specific type of transmission.

I have a 1998 Chevy s10 zr2 automatic replaced the trans and mine is doingh E exact same thing any suggestions

3-4 clutch is slipping no matter if its a 4l60 (92 and older) or a 4l60e (93 and newer) plain and simple. Trans must be removed and input housing pressure checked. Turbine seals can leak, accumulator seals can leak, actual bulletin for adding ground to pcm in 97s I believe, for repeat trans failures. If same clutch is slipping over and over, obviously there is a pressure loss somewhere. Done hundreds of these trans, 3-4 clutches and sun shells over and over failures. She'll failure causes no reverse and 1st and 4th only.

by vintagedog55

Mine stays in first it won't go to second or 3 ????

by jj

If it is gm 87-92 th700r4/4l60 with second type auxiliary valve body than it can be a lot of things.first check tv cable and tv plunger to make sure it is not stuck.this will require taking pan off.then check governor to see if gear is stripped and that the cross pin is installed.also check to see if the valve moves freely when weights are actuated. Next pull valve body and see if check balls are proper place and air test .check to make sure all valves are moving freely and don't stick.if that dose not fix it than ur clutches are burned up.a bad torque converter can cause this, vacum leak, line blockage, tv plunger sticking,stripped splines on input shaft, and so on.do those first three things I told you and air test clutch packs.if this dose not fix the problem than you will have to overhaul or rebuild.in that trans its all about pressure, if there is a problem shifting than somethings messing up pressure.

by Scott

I got a 1987 chevy v10 with the 5.7 got it a week ago got it running today (positive cable was burned up off manifold) runs good now but no movement when shifted into any gear in 2 4 n or 4l. But just checked fluid it is way over what it should be in neutral what should I do?

by Jory Vernetti

dose it go into third at all or just slips.

this is what i got i have a 1990 c1500 i rebuild the transmission in it because i was not shifting in to 3 and 4. It act like it wants to at times. And some time it dose but wen u let off the gas it comes out of gear and wont go back it. I changed the TV'S cable. Still the same thing im thinking is could be the shift Servo seals? I might of smashed the seals

I just replaced the clutches and steels in my 91 Chevy with a 700r4 still no 3rd or 4th any help

I've got a 91 s10 blazer v6 4.3 vortex 5 speed and changed the clutch can't get it to bleed go in any gear and I've bleed numerous times even vaccum the lines sucktion and when I let off the clutch it'll stay in gear won't change and let off the clutch in neutral it makes a ticking noise, what's up

Have a 91 s10 blazer v6 vortec 5 speed changed clutch can't get bleed change gears and when in nuetral let off clutch it makes a ticking noise. Whats up fix it?

by Tommy

@loverboy sound like you put your throw out bearing in backward

by Jimfixer

or if you didnt replace it the throw bearing is done, people often neglect to change the bearing thinking its ok but messing around with it when you change the clutch you can send them to there final resting place

by Jimfixer

Have a 91 s10 blazer v6 vortec 5 speed changed clutch can't get bleed change gears and when in nuetral let off clutch it makes a ticking noise. Whats up fix it? I changed throw out Bering it's in right but my clutch I've bleed so many times nothing but I'm getting build up pressure just not enough to change gears, what's up???

by Tommy

Wow finnally im seeing my same problems and some input.I ve a 97 chevy 1500 and the 5.7 vortec.guy sold it to me said mechanic told him modual. Goes into first and reverse fine.I have to run 3100 rpms and let off then a semi hard change.gets 75mph but whole time it feels something holding it back.trans.shop says third is gone and he can overhaul for 2k.I keep driving every day..no choice.is tranny guy trying to get work at all cost? Or is there options first. Should I check solinoids first.. rearend g oil ?. never seem to get a solid direction. 4l60e....thanks..beyond frustrated...bryan

by Bryan Baird

2004 trail blazer speed ometer does'nt work. 4x4 does'nt . Trans will not shift up to high gear. Abs, brake 4x4 lights are on the dast

jack will be eternally grateful.