2.2, 2.4, 2.5, or 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo processor

intermittent video distortion (not nvidia recall per genuis bar scan)

Upon wake up, intermittently there is video distortion on the bottom 2/3'rds of the display. This state lasts from a few minutes to many hours before randomly returning to normal.

pic here -> http://bit.ly/9EAXgP

While this condition is present, I can connect to an external display, and the external display is normal and does not display the distortion.

Genuis bar scanned for the Nvidia recall, but no error codes were found.

Wondering if this is a bad LCD, bad inverter board, or bad logic board, or just a bad connection between one of those items.

Any help / suggestions on how to figure this issue out specifically would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

I have a replacement cable but have not yet installed it. A good smack to the bottom of the MBP fixes the display issue (temporarily) so I haven't got around to the cable swap yet.

Since you have good video with an external monitor I would think your logic board is good and this does not seem like a inverter problem to me. I would open the computer and check connections to the LCD. If all appears good I think I would replace the cable from the logic board to the LCD first. (less expensive) If that doesn't work you may have to replace the LCD. Go slow one step at a time and by all means get a second opinion before replacing the LCD. Ralph

MacBook Pro 15" Core 2 Duo Models A1226 and A1260 Display Data Cable Replacement

http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacB...

thank you very much for your opinion will try that first

Agreed +

Well my temporary fix lasted me two years. I wouldn't mess with it unless forced to. I got my cable in today - will update with results once I install it.

Update: I replaced the display data cable last night and everything went smoothly. It did not fix this problem however, so the issue is with the screen itself. The good news is that my pinching technique is working again after reassembling the screen, so I suspect it may just be an issue with the LCD panel connection along the right side of the screen. I think I'm going to open up the screen again and place a thin strip of foam insulation between the back of the LCD panel and the back cover to keep uniform pressure on the edge once it's reassembled. I think this has a good chance of working!

hope that works. sounds like i won't bother installing my cable.

Have you found a fix for this? My MBP 15 has the exact same problem and cuts out at the same position. It started as an intermittent problem that soon became permanent about 2 yrs ago. If I pinch the right side of the frame it fixes the problem so I have been using a metal clip to hold the pressure - I've been running this way as a stop gap fix for about 2 years now! I always figured this would probably not work forever and today this method finally stopped working. Pinching no longer works and the bottom 2/3 of the screen stays distorted.

Same thing as yours; I can hook up an external display and it works fine, so it's not an NVidia problem. I don't think it's a LCD or inverter problem either, because I was able to work around the problem for so long. Just wondering if replacing the LVD cable on the right side would take care of the problem.

I have a similar problem. If I move the screen via the right hand side my video goes into negative mode. It reverts to normal if I adjust the screen slightly in either direction. Apple has changed the logic board as there was the Nvidia chip problem but sadly the display is still the same. Want to try your technique of placing some foam insulation. I hope you can give some feedback on how well this works and also how to do it. Questions I have include how thick is the piece of foam you are using and how do you unscrew the back cover. It seems to be very difficult to access the two screws.

A good "smack" to computer is a GREAT idea. That will surely make it run better....

scorneil will be eternally grateful.