Complete how to and replacement guides for the original iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, and iPhone 7 Plus.

Loud crackling static sound on iPhone 5 call?

I just bought myself a 2nd hand iPhone without checking it thoroughly enough. everythings perfect except when i tried to call. Theres this really loud crackling static sound heard by both me and the other party and we cant hear each other AT ALL. I own an iPhone 5, running ios7.1. I used voice record and that worked just fine. can play music too. even when i turn on the speaker theres the loud crackling/static sound. please help. ):

hay i have the same problem whats wrong

I have a problem whenever I go on that has sound it's crackling.

Most Helpful Answer

Sounds like a problem with the mic on the dock connector that used during calls

The upper mic is used to record in voice recorder

Replace the dock and see if this sorts it

iPhone 5 Lightning Connector and Headphone Jack Replacement

My phone has just started crackling and getting interrupted in the past couplr weeks. I've had this phone for awhile and it has nevet dun this.

iPhone 4s with same issue. I solve it by holding in the power button and back button together and power off and keep them pressed till apple logo appears. This resets the phone and all is good now

worked for my scratchy audio thanks

Worked for me too thank you so much

This works !!! Thanks !!!

iPhone 5 making cracking popping static like sound that distorted the audio every time I would send or receive voice message and it also would make the noise every time I tried texting. I fixed it like this.

Settings

General

Accessability

Phone Noise cancellation- turn off

Then reboot

The cracking sound disappeared on my phone and it started working fine.

Hope this helps

yes , Really helped me this solution. thanks

I do not have this Phone Noise cancellation option?

It worked. and solved the problem. Thanks.

I am having the exact same issue, Replaced the doc connector and now sometimes it will be fine, and sometimes it will still crackle. If I turn on speaker mode and turn it back off during the phone call it will resolve it temporarily. I have also replaced the actual ear speaker.

Any further advice?

I have the same problem. Only mine started right after my iPhone was left sitting out during a dust storm. It has to be dirt in the mesh of the speaker. Can I somehow replace the mesh?

Turn on noise cancel in settings general acseadillty at the bottom.

Sorry for the spelling iPhone does my nut. Lol

the loud crackling in from blocked speaker .... sound can't exit so the sound is bouncing off of clogged mesh..... all you have to do is change the mesh that the speaker is facing and its fixed. I changed the speaker but noticed when i tried to make a call it echoed but when i had the phone open and speaker slightly slanted not pushed down it sounded clear so i checked the mesh and it was clogged and full of filth after that it sounded clear.

Change the mesh or remove the mesh and test connection this isn't hard ware lol this is simple clogged mesh that sound cannot escape

Pedro - iTechiie Solutions

The earpiece of my 5S is crackling for some time. I replaced the earpiece but still no luck. Trying to understand what you mean by "change of remove the mesh". can you be more specific?

I work at a mall kiosk where we've repaired too many to count.What I found not sure if it helps but I had the same issue with the crackling noise. What fixed the issue for us turned out to be the charge port connector. It turned out since it was a new charge flex we replaced since the connector when they're new doesn't have as much give or hasn't been broken in. What I noticed is that it being stiff it caused the connector to slightly become raised/lifted from the connector. What I did was not put the sticky part underneath the flex cable down onto the mobo and simply connect the cable. Voila it all worked no static. Happy customer, hope this helps

Most of the answers say change the connector or whatever but my question is to change it how much will this cost, and/or where would you go to get this done? Contact me @ savanabae.icloud.com please

Hi Have had the same issue on a 5c , replaced screen and top speaker and still the same but on further examination we found a screw had come loose and attached to the magnet on the main speaker causing feedback

this turned out to be what my problem was. I opened the phone and as i pulled up the screen a screw fell out. I figured out where it went and also cleaned out the speakre mesh while i was at it and now the phone works fine.

SOLUTION - After all that has been said I would like to suggest the most common cause of this issue. This issue will regularly occur when the charging port flex connector is replaced. In this case the crackling may be caused by a grounding problem between the top of the charging port flex connector and the metal screw panel. The top of the connector must be insulated from the screw panel that secures the ribbon cable onto the logic board. This can be accomplished with a small piece of electrical tape.

Did it work? I am having the same problem here... the problem is this static sound only happens every few days...

Same here. A caller hears crackling during the ringing before I even answer. I want to know if replacing the lightning dock assembly worked.

When I call out to a friend via my iphone, it crackles while it rings, so I hang up. It is the strangest thing. Not sure yet how to fix this problem.

I just replaced the screen of an otherwise working i5S, and got a crackling/distortion in the earpiece after reassembly. Replaced the earpiece speaker but no change.

Discovered that the sound was fine when the screen was "loose", on top of housing, before pressing it inside the frame. So apparently something is being "jammed" when putting it together.. Cant see anything "abnormal", and have tried cleaning all contacts etc...

What could possibly cause this i wonder..?

Hi, I think I have the same problem. Changed the earpiece but no change.

Also I had a struggle puting the new earpiece back. The small frame that holds the earpiece in place is popping out and the larger screw is not screwing.

Have you solved your sound problem?

iPhone 5C headset with static noise.

Tried different headsets, still static.

Tried brand new port, still static.

I put all new hardware, and still same thing.

I have the same problem. If I plug in ANY headphones all I hear is static. Same if I try to make a call to anyone it's all static. My microphone doesn't work either but FaceTime is fine.

Did you find a way to solve this problem? I am having a similar problem with an IPhone 6+ that just got the screen replaced. If anyone knows how to solve this please reach out to me via email at macbrosrule@gmail.com with the subject "IPhone fix". Thanks.

Restart your iPhone and see if it will work after. Works for me. I have and iPhone 6.

If it doesn't work put ur phone on "speaker" and u should be able to talk to the person u are trying to call.

johar will be eternally grateful.