Model M6497 or A1005 / 500, 600, 700, 800, or 900 MHz G3 processor

iBook system upgrade question

I would like to upgrade the operating system on my iBook G3 to run Office. What would I need and what would the cost be?

Here are the requirements to run 2004 (I strongly suggest you do not attempt 2008, it would not function well): (this is from the READ ME file)

Processor: Mac OS X-compatible processor that is a model G3 or higher.

Operating System: Mac OS X version 10.2.8 or later.

Memory: 256 MB of RAM.

Hard Disk*: 570 MB of available hard-disk space for installing Office by using the Office Setup Assistant (recommended); 610 MB for installing Office by dragging the Microsoft Office 2004 folder to your hard disk.

Drives: CD-ROM drive.

Display: Monitor that can display 1024 x 768 or higher resolution displaying thousands of colors.

*The hard disk should be in Mac OS Extended (HFS+) format, the default format for Mac OS X. Although you can use drag-and-drop installation to install Office 2004 on a hard disk that is in another format, Microsoft does not currently support such a configuration. To determine the format of your hard disk, on the Apple menu, click About This Mac, and then click More Info.

According to Mactracker, your mac can go all the way up to 10.4.11, so you should be fine, since it only needs1 10.2.8+

right +vote

Thank you, this is very helpful.

Bob will be eternally grateful.