Third generation of iPad with Wi-Fi, released on March 16, 2012. Model Number A1416. Repair requires heating and careful prying.

Screen won't go on, beeps while charging.

Need a little help here. My iPad 3 wifi was dropped and I only get a black screen.

Also when connected to power it beeps every 3 to 4 seconds (same sound as the single beep the ipad makes when connected to a charger)

Here are a few things I tried doing with no success.

Connected to iTunes which sees the ipad when connected PC

Tried resetting it using the home+power button

Tired restoring it, and restoring via DFU mode

Opened it up and disconnected then reconnected the display cables. The only thing I noticed was that the backlight goes on and off.

I don't know what it could be. Is it the screen, cables or logic board? Any advice would be appreciated.

Most Helpful Answer

I was reparing my ipad 3 cu's the screen was shattered but the lcd fine.

I didn't realize that the battery was empty. Whet I was starting to test the screen the lcd didn't turn on and starts beeping, I thought I was screw that I broke something.

In my desperation while the charging cable was in and ready for charge I heard the beep so press simultaniously the power button and the home button and it stopped beeping and suddenly the apple turn on and when it finally finish turning on I see the battery and it was 1% and I charge it and problem solve. I hope this helps anyone out there =)

Just in case anyone else has the problem mentioned by the OP - this also worked for me. Thanks Alejandro!

Worked for me aswell! Thank you!

Probably the LCD itself was damaged during the drop.

Ding dong sounds in this situation is probably the iPad wanting you to "trust this computer" or similar.

A new LCD is your next step. Rule that out and then we can talk motherboard repair

Jessa

Thanks. I will give that a shot first.

Been a while I was finally able to purchase a screen replacement from ifixit. I installed the new screen, charged it for a while, did a reset but no success. I also connected to my PC and did a restore but nothing. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help

So is this no image or no backlight?

No image but I do see a backlight. I was able to connect the ipad to this hdmi adapter I have and I do get an image on my TV but everytime I touch the screen it restarts.

No image on a new LCD = board problem. These come in two flavors---1.) Obvious damage. Look under magnification to see if you can see a damaged, missing, or burned component. This is the good kind, send out for a fix and you're done.

2.) No obvious damage---this is the bad kind. When the problem is coming from drop damage that creates a short or lack of continuity somewhere under a big chip, i.e. the motherboard of the motherboard is bad, then that type of repair is usually just not feasible. Sometime non-obvious damage can still be feasibly repaired---but it takes a long time to test/measure/troubleshoot individual components. You could still consider sending it out for a complex diagnosis service which at my shop costs about an hour of labor time to see if there is any hope.

jessa

Maybe This Help You, Im From México and I cant get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvgMr-Yo...

If you can solve the problem, let me Know.

Saludos

That is a standard backlight repair. The poster says his backlight is working. No image is a separate problem.

I have the same problem with a iPad 3, I replaced The logic board and the problem disappear. Maybe The link to Youtube is The answer of our problem.

Thank you. Tried what you posted and it worked. It took a few tries but it finally came back to life. Thank you again.

Mine is doing the same thing but has never sustained any damage and never dropped. Do I try the same thing? I have once and all I get is the apple and then a charging cord image with an iTunes button. Help!!

darkmetsu will be eternally grateful.