Repair and disassembly guides for GE Microwave ovens.

189 Questions View all

My GE JES1855PCH04 Appears to work except the actual heating process?

The entire oven appears to be working except for the actual heating process .One can hear a clicking sound when the heating is supposed to begin.

Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 2
Add a comment

3 Answers

Chosen Solution

Here is a link that should help with your problem. Concentrate on replacing the magnetron as I think that's your problem. Ralph

Was this answer helpful?

Score 2

Comments:

I think this is a much better link: http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/GE-sp...

by

Both get to the same place but yours gets there quicker. I am deleting my link for clarity. Ralph

by

+ it's hard to find the parts for this baby.

by

Add a comment

I have repaired more than one microwaveand find that it generally is not the magnetron tube that goes bad. What usually happens is simply a blown fuse. This repair involves taking the cover off and finding the circuit board.Even on cheap ovens the fuse is usually in a holder instead of soldered in so it is simply a matter of either checking for continuity in the fuse with a multimeter( this will tell you if the fuse is the problem) or removing it and taking it to your local Radio Shack and having them find you the correct replacment, snapping it in and reassemling the unit. Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 2

Comments:

Fuses don't just blow, there's a reason. Microwaves can kill you so please make sure your life insurance is in good standing before attempting a repair.

by

I appreciate your comment Mayer;very true that fuses only blow for a reason. This can be simply an overloaded curcuit or an electrical fault in the oven itself. I will stress that unless you have electrical(high voltage) experience, you should NEVER EVER open up the case!I can't stress this enough! Often though,the fuse blows from an overloaded circuit(too many devices on the circuit)in which case it can be a fairly easy repair. As w/all high voltage A/C appliances do not go there if you are not knowledgeable.Thanks again Mayer for the one up!

by

Add a comment

Fuses always go for a reason BUT very old fuses have been known to just fail because of inrush current like my 30 year old GE microwave!

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0

Comments:

In fact fuses do get "tired" over time.

If the fuse of the glass tubular variety, the appearance of the blown fuse will tell you whether it may be a nuisance failure or something more serious.

If the fuse wire is sagged or molten but mostly intact, the former is likely. If the inside of the glass tube has a black/metallic deposit all over it, it means that the fuse blew out because of a drastic overload - severe enough to evaporate the fuse wire. In such cases, don't even bother replacing the fuse - check the circuit first.

by

Add a comment

Add your answer

obojorquez64 will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 0

Past 7 Days: 2

Past 30 Days: 4

All Time: 8,964