Model A1418 / Late 2012 / 2.7 & 2.9 GHz Core i5 or 3.1 GHz Core i7 Processor

iMac screen has black big line after replace the HD

I remove iMac display screen and then replaced ,after that it start showing the black big line.please help me what is the cause of that?

sorry my bad English

thanks for your support

Kandala.

Good morning , today May 2015 replaced the hard drive on my iMac Model A1418 and got the same your problem .

a gray line appeared the same as yours on my screen.

I want to know after a year how you solved your problem , the damage was lcd or data cable ?

thank you very much for your reply , sorry for my bad English , I speak Spanish . thank you very much again.

hello,

I have the same problem !

I hope that the screen is not broken, how did you solve the problem ? please help !

thank you

best regards

Hi Kandala, how exactly did you fix this problem because I have the same issue. Thanks!

@ ghiuni - He had to replace the display assembly as he had damaged it in the process of taking it off. If you review the questions searching for 'Thin Series' iMac's you'll find quite a few people have damaged theirs as well. Sorry.

My late 2013 iMac now sports 2 x 21" monitors after experiencing the same issue.

Leave it to the experts to replace HDDs

Kandala, this could be caused by a bad LCD as well as a bad cable. Double check your work to make sure that all cables a properly ( and straight) connected. Also, check with an external display to see if that shows the same error. If it does, then you are having issues with the graphics processor on the logic board. Hope this helps, good luck.

Most Helpful Answer

I understood that this problem happens if you go inside with the plastic card along the edges more than 1 cm. I inserted the card too much (14 mm) and I touched something that broke the display.

REMEMBER: when you try to remove the display DO NOT insert the plastic card along the edges for more than 1 cm.

At the moment i do not know if i will have to replace the screen or not. This could be a bad issue...

Sadly, you may have damaged the display.

You do not have to connect to an external monitor to check the grahics card.

Just take a screenshot (cmd-shift-3).

If it is OK, there is no problem with the graphics processor,

but with one of the LVDS connectors, or with the display itself

Parsec is right. The problem can occur by cutting too deep when removing the display.

The most critical area appears to be the top of the display, because this is where the controller is connected to the LCD by flex cables that are exposed, and you could cut off the fragile joints from the cables to the LCD.

Kandala will be eternally grateful.