Does an A1226 Logic Board fit into an A1260 unibody?

My old A1260 logic board died (GPU failure). Can I replace a defect A1260 logic board with an A1226? Are there any compatibility issues?

Cheers!

I'm having luck getting these nVidia 8600 boards repaired. eBay has a guy in Florida that will do the whole job for $150 or $75 if you just ship the logic board. He is a bit slow (5 weeks).

Most Helpful Answer

Why do you want to jump to a different model?

There's not enough difference in performance to take the leap here. While the cases are very similar there are enough differences internally to make this harder than it needs to be.

I would stick with the A1260 Santa Rosa logic board. Just make sure you get a rev 2 GPU.

Hi Dan.

The A1226 is cheaper on E-Bay. They offer this board with a newly installed 2013 Nvidia GPU. Im just wondering if all the connections will work inside the case :)

Cheers

OK, so this logic bd is a rebuilt A1226 (rev 2 GPU). Look some more I'm sure you'll find a rebuilt A1260 board around the same price. You might even find someone with the correct tools to instal a new GPU on your logic board if the GPU is the bad.

These forums are so confusing to me. I have the exact same question, but none of the people that responded to you answer it. They are referring to GPU repair. Will an A1260 MB fit in a A1226 frame? Yes or no?

Yes, the logic board will physically fit (you will need to cut one stud off).

BUT! The connections to the display, keyboard & trackpad are different! So you'll also need to transfer them over as well which is why I stated in my answer above:

"There's not enough difference in performance to take the leap here. While the cases are very similar there are enough differences internally to make this harder than it needs to be."

I don't recommend fixing these older series as people often think they can use them online without risk sadly thats not the case. OS-9 has quite a few security vulnerabilities and the early OS-X likewise does. Unless you have applications that only run on OS-9, I would at least get to OS-X 10.11 El Capitan. Apple has also discontinued security updates with El Capitan but at least it has most of the fixes the older releases don't have. You'll need to max the RAM out to 6 GB in order to have the system useful as well.

Got it Dan. Please note that my issue was the A1260 board fitting into the A1226 frame, while the original question was the opposite. In either case I think I can make it work, but I'm a little confused as to what you mean by different display and keyboard connections. Are they in different places on the board or are they different sizes from each other? Or are the connections coming from the A1226 display assembly different then what goes on the A1260 board?

At the time Apple was not concerned with standards! Each model back then was built based on what was contracted. So the displays as an example are not using a consistent interface (Signal & Physical).

Starting with the Unibody models Apple stuck to an established standard LVDS signaling. The connector was mostly the same. Later with the Retina series iDP (some people call it eDP) was then used.

Within the arc's of these standards the LCD displays where technically interchangeable. You couldn't use them across!

In the pre unibody its more complicated! As the logic board was tuned for a given display (vendor). So when you jump to a different series you hit this. It makes no difference which way you go A1260 to A1226 or A1226 to A1260.

The keyboard likewise was unique. Again, based on what they contracted out. You also hit the issue of the keycaps being different as Apple redesigned the assignments in mid stream!

I still think this is a fools mission as this series is so old. I would rather have you buy a newer used system for the money you'll end up spending trying to get this poor boy going again.

krabbedoelie will be eternally grateful.