MacBook Repair

The MacBook family was first introduced in May 2006 and replaced the iBook as Apple's consumer laptop.

My MacBook does not power up at all!

Since swapping the base plastics for this MacBook, it is now completely dead.

The bottom case was from a different model of A1181 and this some screw holes were not present or in the wrong place. As a result some screws were left out.

I have heard that the screws help earth the logic board and complete the internal circuit.

Thus can someone confirm that this would result in a dead MacBook and that by fully disassembling the MacBook again and returning it to the original bottom plastic will result in it working again?

Thanks.

I would certainly try that.

by remacberlin

Well... I put it all back together with the original base plastic, ensuring that all screws, connectors cables and the like were in the correct place. I am not clumsy and have taken laptops (non-Apple) apart before, nintendo DS, and other electronic gizmos without them dying on me like this! The MacBook is still dead. Although not completely it would seem. On pressing the power button a very faint ticking noise can be heard coming from the processor/fan area. This is not a constant click as sometimes its fast others slower. There is also a feint hum between clicks at times. When the power lead is connected the unit appears to charge, light on the lead anyway... No other signs at all. Is it a totally dead logic board? Thanks.

by Dave Hayes

Try to reseat the ram and do a SMC reset. If it doesn't work:

Take off the MB top case, disconnect the optical drive, the airport card, the hard drive, the battery, from the logic board. Install your hard drive in an external USB 2.5 enclosure and connect it to the USB port, connect an external keyboard to the MacBook, find the two small power pads on the logic board (it's near the fan and you'll see the power icon over them), connect the AC adapter (diode should be green) and trip the two power pads with a small flat jeweler screwdriver. If you get a chime push on the keyboard option key and you should see the external HD icon onscreen. We want to know if the logic board has a problem or if something else is causing the issue. If the MacBook boots than you have a bad cable or bad top case or another faulty part that you'll have to find. If the MB doesn't boot then something else is in trouble or the logic board is dead.

Most Helpful Answer

Lemerise, i just wanted to say thanks for your information. I have a MacBook here, same model etc. And for some reason it was not booting up at all. I did as you said, and used the screwdriver to get the machine going. One by one i added/connected the devices i had disconnected and continued to use the screwdriver to boot the machine. Eventually i tried to boot it with the keyboard/top connector plugged in. It would not boot.

After closer inspection of the keyboard, i saw that the little ribbon cable which has about .5cm of it's ribbon exposed in the battery bay was torn. Likely when the hard drive was replaced. Apple sucks for having that there in an area that is supposed to be user servicable. Anyhow, one of the connectors in the 16 or so wire ribbon was severed and another was about 1/2 severed. Had to use a magnifying glass to see this. At first i thought this machine would need a new logic board, but now i know that it works fine, and it just needs a new keyboard. I am going to take apart the keyboard to see if i might be able to replace this ribbon somehow, as the keyboard is perfect, aside from the minorly torn cable.

Again i hate apple for making this design, but thanks for your information.

EDIT:

Unfortunately i was unable to take apart the keyboard. But however, a friend had some rear-defrost liquid connector material on hand (for linking the metal contacts in the rear window defrost of vehicles). I thought, since the keyboard is a write off that i would try to apply some of this liquid to the broken connector. It took a magnifying glass, someone to hold a pen-light to the connection while i worked, and a steady hand, but i managed to wipe it onto the broken connector and re-create the circuit. When it dried i connected the keyboard connector onto the logic board, and it booted the machine from the keyboard. Also, all keys work fine.

I consider this just a temporary fix, but it could be a permanent one.. its only been working for about 30 minutes, and i'll likely forget about this post by the time i realize its a permanent one..

Will be covering that exposed connector with electrical tape when i pput it back together, so this doesnt happen again..

Thanks again!

That's a good exemple of how you can save money when using your skills to repair your computer. Great post tkais +1

by lemerise

If at first you dont succeed, go back to what started it all.

I had a similar problem with my 12" PowerBook g4.

The cause: I kicked the computer's nightstand out from under it (cursewords!) and it fell about two feet landing it exactly on its right side.

The result: I got the "turn me off immediately!!!" screen. Subsequent reboot led to the fan coming on, the start up chime no no hard drive noises and a completely black screen.

The solution: I foolishly took the machine to the apple store's genius bar, where I was told it was at least a faulty hard drive and possibly display or logic board problems. Thinking this fix to be over my head, I paid 'em $300 (more cursewords!) to send the guy off to a mysterious place they called The Depot. Four days later, my PowerBook arrives in the mail, working wonderfully, with a note that says they simply RESEATED THE AIRPORT CARD! $300 for something I could have done with a quarter! They replaced no parts and reinstalled the OS. *sigh*

This fix makes no sense to me. Anybody know why an unseated or partly seated airport card would keep the display from coming on or the hard drive from firing up?

Dave Hayes will be eternally grateful.