Need help on troubleshooting

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to test a logic board for function without installing it back into the frame? I have a board pulled and am working on, and I was wondering what I would need to make it function without having to reinstall it over and over. The Lcd/Digi, Battery, dock and power button flex. Does it need the frame for the grounding?

iPhone Battery Fix Kits

Only $29.99

iPhone Battery Fix Kits

Only $29.99

I believe it does. you should put it back in the frame for testing.

nope. You can totally test it outside of the frame. Solder a lead to the bat + and - pins and attach to alligator clips to a DC power supply. You can use powerflex to power on, then disconnect and take readings on both sides of the board. I'm doing it right now :)

jessa

What should the DC supply be rated to? I assume a 9V will have different results than a car battery.

I mean a benchtop variable DC power supply specifically used for troubleshooting electronics. Pick one up for $100. You can use it for all sorts of things--charging dead batteries, pushing current into phones with a short to allow the heat buildup to show you where the short is, and doing what you're doing here--testing a phone without using a battery.

You would give the phone exactly 3.8 V---9V or 12V would kill it.

David will be eternally grateful.