2.3GHz, 2.6GHz, or 2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache.

My MacBook Pro has a black screen at startup.

When I turn on my MacBook the Apple startup sound plays, but the screen remains off. However, I found if I close the lid to enter sleep mode, then reopen the laptop, I am able to access the desktop.

Additionally, I cannot connect to external monitors and, occasionally, a white screen appears prompting a reboot while watching VLC or youtube.

Does anyone have an idea which part is causing the issue? I am thinking the dedicated GPU or maybe the entire logic board? I am hoping to fix this at home.

Have you recently upgraded to Maverck's If so it might be that.. there's lots of sleep/wake/video and wireless issues.

Ive upgraded a while ago just a couple days when mavericks was released. It was good till recently. Until a couple crash from watching vlc or youtube. Hasnt update on apple store for a while.

Ah its more a software issue... I got it to clean reinstall mavericks. Its working again

Apple has launched a repair program to fix MacBook Pro machines sold between February 2011 and February 2013 that have problems with distorted video, no video, or unexpected system restarts. Contact Apple: MacBook Pro - video issues

@dan thanks a lot for your information. I was struggling to solve my laptop display problem. Finaly my laptop under that program. Thank you

Generally if an external monitor does not show a signal your GPU/logic board is the issue.

There is no DIY fix for a bad GPU other than to replace the entire logic board. If the machine is still under warranty I would contact Apple.

If this answer is acceptable please remember to return and mark it.

Nope its not under warranty anymore.

Theres no chace it would be loose connection or software issue? If apple diagnosis is free for out of warranty than I might go check it out

contact grossmans in new york city...he does board level repairs

It is a way to fix it, the reballing.

Most Helpful Answer

What fixed it for me was to reset the PRAM, as described here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ph14222 (boot-up, while holding down Option-Command–P–R)

Awesome. This worked for me.

PRAM reset worked for me too on a 2014 MBP Retina with Yosemite

This worked for me too. Thanks!

Worked like a charm on late 2013 MBP Retina with Yosemite when 4 other potential fixes did not, thank you so much.

This worked for me.Thank you very much

I had this problem too. The MacBook would chime and the screen would glow whilst staying dark. This is what Apple Support Live Chat told me to do and it worked straight away:

1) After your Mac is shut down and plugged in, unplug any external devices — like external hard drives, flash drives, or printers.

2) Press (left side): Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time, briefly, then let go.

3) The computer should remain off for this reset, though you may notice the LED on the charger change colors.

Then go right into a PRAM reset:

1) While the computer is still OFF, locate the “Command + Option + P + R” keys.

2) Turn on the computer and immediately hold down these keys until you hear the startup chime twice, then let go.

3) Let the computer start up as it normally would (You should see your screen by now if this fixed the issue).

Didn't work for me. Mine is probably hardware fault. But I didn't see the light flashing while reseting, did you see it?

lukevatkov sky, this Worked for me! thank you.

I had to do none of this reseat/resolder GPU.

if there was something coming up on the screen after closing/opening the lid as OP had, i think the physical GPU fixes were false presumptions. Please tell me why im wrong

This worked for me! I tried both of these fixes separately, but it didn't work until I tried them together.

This worked for me on a MacBook Pro Mid-2011. However, I had to repeat both steps twice before it started to work. After this the computer started and took me into a Password Recovery state. Just closed the Application and restarted the computer. Then everything worked as normal :)

I did both fixes together SMC reset and the NVRAM reset. Now I see glimpses of the startup on the screen flashing in and out but ultimately get a black screen.

Talked to Apple support and the repair program was cancelled in December of 2016. Bummer. I just missed it by a half of a year. What luck.

Apple has launched a repair program to fix MacBook Pro machines sold between February 2011 and February 2013 that have problems with distorted video, no video, or unexpected system restarts.

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-...

Its not the logic board its the graphics card, all you need to do is take it to a place and get them to re solder the graphics chip to the board. Or you could attempt it yourself.

RyanBara - You should first review what the system has and how it works. In this case the system has a dual GPU setup one internally within the CPU and the other externally. The internal unit is the used until the graphics task requires the more powerful GPU. Here's the EveryMac writeup: This system has dual graphics processors -- a NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1 GB of dedicated GDDR5 SDRAM and Intel HD Graphics 4000 with memory shared with the system. The system automatically switches between graphics systems based on use (when applications use OpenGL, Core Graphics or other graphically demanding technologies, the system will use the dedicated graphics card, otherwise it will use Intel HD Graphics to conserve battery life). So you can see the external GPU is not the issue here, the CPU needs to be replaced. In either case a full logic board swap out is needed (no other option).

Have an ASP run the test for the free Apple Repair Extension Program before it expires

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro...

Hi Billy,

I am having the exact same problem that you were having. My Retina MBP experiences black screen on startup with chime; closing the lid and make the laptop go to sleep then reopen allows the screen to come back on. It all happened after I updated to Mavericks 10.9.3. I took it into the Apple store knowing it is a software issue, but the geniuses insisted it was hardware and suggested me to do a $300 repair. What exactly did you say to the Apple store worker to get your laptop replaced?

Thanks,

Mark

Help us help you. The more complete the description of your problem is (what MBR you're using - there are many versions, and in this case what hardware the $300 is to repair, the more assistance we can provide, and, the sooner we can provide it. In Billy's case I suspect there's a silent recall on some GPU or logic board part ''indicative to his particular model (serial number sequence) that caused Apple to offer the replacement. Have you checked with Apple Support to see if your Serial Number qualifies for any special extended warranty or repair.? There was a lot of chatter about heat and video flicker issues in the '13 models.

nothing, the genius just took it and told me its dusty, and after clean it out they still couldnt find the issue, so they told me apple care willing to replace it for me.

im definetly not in warranty, but i dropped my mac once and it was badly damaged and had a case replacement for 700aud, but still have went back to them due to some minot fan noise issue, so chance is that applecare might acknowledge it as their issue of having not completely fix the fan back than.

I have a similar issue. It goes black but still on, and I noticed only intel GPU is available. Same 2012 retina 16gig ram.what can I do?

@machead3, @billy huang, Please guide me on what to do. I have the same model, same problem, no Apple Care. I live in New Zealand, there's no Apple Store here, so no Genius. The Apple Support website charges me 39nzd to chat with support, the premium authorized service provider charges me 85nzd to check what the problem is and 1250nzd to replace the logic board (both video cards are integrated into the main logic board). I don't know what to do.

Ouch! - My suggestion would be to contact your NZ consumer satisfaction/complaint bureau (they should help you for no cost) - also if you purchased the machine with a credit card talk to them about this problem (again they may be able to help you for free) this is a well documented problem. As for the costs doing a rough estimate on replacement logic boards here (without shipping or instillation) you seem to be getting a reasonable priced off to satisfy. Something we can ask for here (USA) is a "depot" repair often they will be done for much less - don't know if such a thing is possible in NZ.

Same issue started happening when i updated to OS X Yosemite on my MacBook pro late 2011 15". The way I use it is with an external monitor, so I'm thinking its a software issue, the reason being is because if I have my Mac in clamshell mode while connected to my mac then unplug from monitor then open lid of Mac and then shut it off. Now when powering it back on my Mac still thinks it's connected to the external monitor and I get a black screen.

So to fix

Restart MacBook pro if you have your volume up you will hear the usual chime, now your at your black screen from here you must type in your login password blindly hit return when done, type in your password one more time just in case you didn't type it on correctly.

If you typed password correctly your Mac will login and your screen comes back to life. And now when you shutdown your Mac then restarting Mac again you will not get that black screen again.

there is som many post on this issues, why nobody suit apple for not attending this problem, i have this same problem and the only way to get display back is to disconnect macsafe and let consume battery power so reconnect macsafe and wa la displays is alive.

we must claim for apple to fix our mbpr.

i have a macbook pro 15.4" with retina early 2013, and have the exact problem of 2012 version, didn't fixed that problem.

lukevatkovsky

1

December 27, 2014

Your answer worked for me! I did this:

Then go right into a PRAM reset:

Now I am working and backing it up! Thanks so much

"1) After your Mac is shut down and plugged in, unplug any external devices — like external hard drives, flash drives, or printers.

Then go right into a PRAM reset:

3) Let the computer start up as it normally would (You should see your screen by now if this fixed the issue)."

Sometimes this works for me, sometimes it doesn't. I've given up on the black screen and shut it, unplugged it, and driven home with it in the car only to find a normal screen when I arrive home. Techtool only shows the onboard Intel graphics.

Sounds like the NVIDIA GPU is coming unseated.

Unfortunately there is no Apple Store/Genius bar nearby.

If this is a software issue I hope somebody comes up with a permanent fix...

hi guys i have the same problem i dont know how to fix it .

black screen in start up

i tried all the process but not working

can someone help me how to fix this??

]

I think your best shot is to take to an apple store to get a free repair as per my answer

I have the same problem. Also can be fixed by sleeping+waking after boot. I am sure it's not GPU as my model does not have one. PRAM and SMC reset does not help.

I suspect it's a HW issue as it appeared after I spilled some tea near of the (closed) MacBook. Perhaps frying something near to the Thunderbolt port making it think it's connected to an external display.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), OS X 10.11

Afun is xorrect. After I blindly entered my password and hit enter it worked. Thanx

I'm having the same problem. I have a MPB 13inch retina I bought in 2015. I'll turn on my MacBook and here the chime but it remains on a black screen and the chime continuously loops ever 2 seconds. I took it to the Apple Store and it immediately started up when they looked at it. They opened it up to see if it was hardware and everything seemed to be fine on the MacBook. As soon as I got home the same issue occurred. I've tried everything and don't know what to do

I am having the same issue did you find any solution for it ?

Billy Huang will be eternally grateful.