2.3GHz, 2.6GHz, or 2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache.

My MacBook Pro has a black screen at startup.

When I turn on my MacBook the Apple startup sound plays, but the screen remains off. However, I found if I close the lid to enter sleep mode, then reopen the laptop, I am able to access the desktop.

Additionally, I cannot connect to external monitors and, occasionally, a white screen appears prompting a reboot while watching VLC or youtube.

Does anyone have an idea which part is causing the issue? I am thinking the dedicated GPU or maybe the entire logic board? I am hoping to fix this at home.

Have you recently upgraded to Maverck's If so it might be that.. there's lots of sleep/wake/video and wireless issues.

Ive upgraded a while ago just a couple days when mavericks was released. It was good till recently. Until a couple crash from watching vlc or youtube. Hasnt update on apple store for a while.

Ah its more a software issue... I got it to clean reinstall mavericks. Its working again

Apple has launched a repair program to fix MacBook Pro machines sold between February 2011 and February 2013 that have problems with distorted video, no video, or unexpected system restarts. Contact Apple: MacBook Pro - video issues

@dan thanks a lot for your information. I was struggling to solve my laptop display problem. Finaly my laptop under that program. Thank you

Generally if an external monitor does not show a signal your GPU/logic board is the issue.

There is no DIY fix for a bad GPU other than to replace the entire logic board. If the machine is still under warranty I would contact Apple.

If this answer is acceptable please remember to return and mark it.

Nope its not under warranty anymore.

Theres no chace it would be loose connection or software issue? If apple diagnosis is free for out of warranty than I might go check it out

contact grossmans in new york city...he does board level repairs

It is a way to fix it, the reballing.

Most Helpful Answer

What fixed it for me was to reset the PRAM, as described here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ph14222 (boot-up, while holding down Option-Command–P–R)

Awesome. This worked for me.

PRAM reset worked for me too on a 2014 MBP Retina with Yosemite

This worked for me too. Thanks!

Worked like a charm on late 2013 MBP Retina with Yosemite when 4 other potential fixes did not, thank you so much.

This worked for me.Thank you very much

Apple has launched a repair program to fix MacBook Pro machines sold between February 2011 and February 2013 that have problems with distorted video, no video, or unexpected system restarts.

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-...

I had this problem too. The MacBook would chime and the screen would glow whilst staying dark. This is what Apple Support Live Chat told me to do and it worked straight away:

1) After your Mac is shut down and plugged in, unplug any external devices — like external hard drives, flash drives, or printers.

2) Press (left side): Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time, briefly, then let go.

3) The computer should remain off for this reset, though you may notice the LED on the charger change colors.

Then go right into a PRAM reset:

1) While the computer is still OFF, locate the “Command + Option + P + R” keys.

2) Turn on the computer and immediately hold down these keys until you hear the startup chime twice, then let go.

3) Let the computer start up as it normally would (You should see your screen by now if this fixed the issue).

Didn't work for me. Mine is probably hardware fault. But I didn't see the light flashing while reseting, did you see it?

lukevatkov sky, this Worked for me! thank you.

I had to do none of this reseat/resolder GPU.

if there was something coming up on the screen after closing/opening the lid as OP had, i think the physical GPU fixes were false presumptions. Please tell me why im wrong

This worked for me! I tried both of these fixes separately, but it didn't work until I tried them together.

This worked for me on a MacBook Pro Mid-2011. However, I had to repeat both steps twice before it started to work. After this the computer started and took me into a Password Recovery state. Just closed the Application and restarted the computer. Then everything worked as normal :)

I did both fixes together SMC reset and the NVRAM reset. Now I see glimpses of the startup on the screen flashing in and out but ultimately get a black screen.

Talked to Apple support and the repair program was cancelled in December of 2016. Bummer. I just missed it by a half of a year. What luck.

Have an ASP run the test for the free Apple Repair Extension Program before it expires

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro...

Its not the logic board its the graphics card, all you need to do is take it to a place and get them to re solder the graphics chip to the board. Or you could attempt it yourself.

RyanBara - You should first review what the system has and how it works. In this case the system has a dual GPU setup one internally within the CPU and the other externally. The internal unit is the used until the graphics task requires the more powerful GPU. Here's the EveryMac writeup: This system has dual graphics processors -- a NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1 GB of dedicated GDDR5 SDRAM and Intel HD Graphics 4000 with memory shared with the system. The system automatically switches between graphics systems based on use (when applications use OpenGL, Core Graphics or other graphically demanding technologies, the system will use the dedicated graphics card, otherwise it will use Intel HD Graphics to conserve battery life). So you can see the external GPU is not the issue here, the CPU needs to be replaced. In either case a full logic board swap out is needed (no other option).

Same issue started happening when i updated to OS X Yosemite on my MacBook pro late 2011 15". The way I use it is with an external monitor, so I'm thinking its a software issue, the reason being is because if I have my Mac in clamshell mode while connected to my mac then unplug from monitor then open lid of Mac and then shut it off. Now when powering it back on my Mac still thinks it's connected to the external monitor and I get a black screen.

So to fix

Restart MacBook pro if you have your volume up you will hear the usual chime, now your at your black screen from here you must type in your login password blindly hit return when done, type in your password one more time just in case you didn't type it on correctly.

If you typed password correctly your Mac will login and your screen comes back to life. And now when you shutdown your Mac then restarting Mac again you will not get that black screen again.

"1) After your Mac is shut down and plugged in, unplug any external devices — like external hard drives, flash drives, or printers.

Then go right into a PRAM reset:

3) Let the computer start up as it normally would (You should see your screen by now if this fixed the issue)."

Sometimes this works for me, sometimes it doesn't. I've given up on the black screen and shut it, unplugged it, and driven home with it in the car only to find a normal screen when I arrive home. Techtool only shows the onboard Intel graphics.

Sounds like the NVIDIA GPU is coming unseated.

Unfortunately there is no Apple Store/Genius bar nearby.

If this is a software issue I hope somebody comes up with a permanent fix...

Billy Huang will be eternally grateful.