iPhone 4

Fourth generation iPhone. Repair is straightforward, but the front glass and LCD must be replaced as a unit. GSM / 8, 16, or 32 GB capacity / Model A1332 / Black and White.

Error 4005 Wont boot up but shows up in Itunes (DFU)

My Wife's iPhone 4 up and quit a few weeks ago. No signs of life on the charger or in iTunes. The dock connector was pretty corroded so I replaced that and the battery with no results. If I put it in DFU mode , it will show up in iTunes but gives me an error 4005 when trying to restore. I metered the charging fuses on the logic board and they seem OK. I'm guessing that would leave the charging IC ? Or am I looking at something else on the Logic Board as the cause?

Brian, are you using (or have you used) iCloud backup on this phone?

by oldturkey03

Yes it was running iOS 7 with iCloud activated.

by Brian

Most Helpful Answer

Brian, I am not yet convinced that this is a hardware error. This could be caused by your iPhone iCloud back up settings being turned on. It would be great if you could try with your iCloud back up turned off. You could also try this:

If iTunes is open, exit iTunes

Disconnect iPhone from computer USB

Click Start menu on desktop

Go to Control Panel

Go to Programs

Go to Programs and Features

Select Apple Mobile Device Support and click repair

Connect iPhone to computer USB (device should install automatically)

Open iTunes

When prompted, click restore iPhone

OS should install now and restore factory settings

and see if it works. From here. Hope this helps, good luck.

Tried this and it didn't work. iTunes just hangs on "waiting for iPhone" after trying to restore it. Came up with error 4005 again. When it died my wife said it was working fine one minute. Then when she took it out of her purse 10 minutes later it was dead as a door nail. When going into DFU mode does the iPhone use it's internal battery or rely on USB power?

by Brian

Dear Brian,

any luck finding an solution? I started with an error 21, replaced the battery and now getting the same error 4005. Also only getting into DFU mode and nothing else.

Thanks for any suggestions. Bye.

Never had any luck. Wound up selling phone for parts.

Hello Brian, does not look good for me either. I Tried to recover on different computer several times, but still getting the same error. Thanks for your time and info. Have a nice day. Bye.

Hi i have the same problem iphone 4 was working fine exept for the ear speaker was keep going on and off so decide to upgrade to 7.1 but got stuck with error 4005 and a blue screen my phone just keeps going on recovery mode i can put it on dfu mode as well but can´t pass the error 4005 try on five different computer mac and windows still samething try the steps above and nothing seems to work so i guess it´s hardware problem if anyone has been able to solve this i would appriciate any help since i don´t really want to spend money on a new phone.

its a hardware issue 1 of your component is malfunctioning try replacing your charging port

Try googling "host file iphone" had exact same error, and changing the host file fixed it for me.

But does sound like charging port.

logic board is bad,battery power not power to logic board power .

There's a way to get out of recovery mode just install this iOS firmware from getios.com open iTunes it will directly connected to the iTunes then press the shift and restore button then choose the firmware that you downloaded then it will restore the iPhone or ipad bye hope this solution helps all of you

I discovered that iPhones have issues connecting via USB hubs. Ensure you're connecting DIRECTLY to your computer's USB port.

people, turn phone off, and then onn, it should star in recovery, isntall RECBOOT and when done, open and click on exit recovery mode. It works to get back your iphone to nromal mode, but anyway when trying to restore again you get same error. iPhone wroks great, charges and all. the error is only when restoring, after error 4005 you just tuurn phone off, with power and home pushed together. when it turns off, just power it on, it will star up with itunes cable and logo. oPen recboot, connect iphone, click exit recovery and walla. As i said before, it will get your iPhone back to life but I am still having issue when restoring. If you feel like this help and you want to help me, I got PayPal address COALBLUN@GMAIL.COM also if you want to contact me, do not hesitate at all

thanks

Brian will be eternally grateful.