The PlayStation 3 Slim is the second version of the PS3 video game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment. It was released September 1, 2009.

PS3 has really loud humming sound, then shuts off.

Hi guys.

I just bought a second hand ps3 slim 500 gb cech 2008a.

Now, the first day I didn't notice much except that it was really dirty. Me being an ifixit fan, I proceed to open it up and clean out whatever I can. This was after I heard a really loud humming sound. After initial cleaning, it was okay for a while and then the humming sound started progressively getting louder. I tried the eject button method to remove any dirt that might have clogged near the fan outlet. Today, it just shut off all on its own while the humming got really loud. I'm a little worried.

I'm guessing it's the fan or the heat sink? I'm not sure. Any thoughts, people? Any help is much appreciated!!!

*Update*

The last time the PS3 was really heating up, I was playing Max Payne 3.

I'm now playing Metro - Last Light, and I've had NO heating issues. I'm going to finish this game and try out another one. Though it just seems weird to me that there would be issues from game to game.

Will update soon.

If you system is overheating you will have blinking red light when it shut down.

For overheating you must to open it, clean it very well. Check the radiator behind the cooling fan. If the system is clean well, you must feel a light air behind the console. The console must be on the ventilated place.

If this not help you, try to change the thermal paste.

Regards.

Thank you Zservices. The only time that it did shut down, it was in the middle of a game and there was no blinking red light. I will open up and clean it again. I tried holding down the eject button and plugging in the console. This helped blow out a bit of dust, i'm guessing. Also, i am able to feel a light draft of air from behind the console, so i'm next going to go with the thermal paste changing. I'll update soon!

I had to redo the solder on he board of one of these, the one i did it on had a lousy fan and it overheated and shut off. Right before it shuts off how hot is it?

Hey Will.

I never really got around to touching it when it was hot. So I don't really know.

blargh hippies

blargh

Aryan Sharma will be eternally grateful.