Second generation of iPhone. Model A1241 / 8 or 16 GB capacity / black or white plastic back. Repair is more straightforward than the first iPhone. requires screwdrivers, prying, and suction tools.

iPhone 3G Ear speaker and Sensor Problem

What number ribbon is used for the ear speaker and sensor?

I think I disconnected something maybe the ribbon used for the ear speaker and sensor unit.

I recently replaced the LCD display. The display works and looks great but I have to use the bluetooth headset to use the phone. The speaker phone works too.

I have to get the ear speaker to work. I am convinced that something is disconnected because the sensor doesn't work either.

Any guess? the only ribbon I touched was 1,2,and 3.

eddyann1@bellsouth.net

as far as i remember right - ribbon 3 is for the proximity sensor and the ear piece

If your proximity sensor, and ear speaker is not working, then you most likely have a damaged #3 ribbon. This can be replaced fairly easily. The ribbon can look flawless yet still be damaged FYI. I replace these all the time for customers

http://hectordtruong.blogspot.com/

Ribbon 3 is a different animal: I thought I broke mine taking it apart, because I couldn't see exactly how it came apart, plus I expected it to have a block of pins on it like ribbons 1 and 2.... but it doesn''t

The ribbon inserts like a blade, and the little lever thingy locks it into place if the ribbon is fully inserted. I used a pair of plain tweezers (tips padded with scotch tape) to finagle it together.

The parts are so small it doesn't seem possible.

Think of the connectors on the back of a stereo: where the bare ends of the speaker wire push in and get locked down with a lever tab.

Eddie will be eternally grateful.