0

Andrej
11

Damaged screw thread on the Upper Case

Hallo,

It seems as if a screw thread on my upper case body is worn out after I swapped the ssd. I have thus lost a screw. Is there a way to repair/fix the screw thread without changing the upper case body.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by: Andrej ( )

1

Dan

The amount of work to bore out the current screw hole and then rethreading the hole so a new screw can be put in is difficult. Depending on how bad it is you'll need one of these kits:

You are also limited on the size screw you put in as you can't exceed the the space the current screw fitted. Don't forget you will need to remove as much as you can so you don't damaging anything, and make sure any of the metal chips and cutting oil is fully removed.

In the end I think you'll find replacing the part easier and cheaper if you can't live with the missing screw.

Many thanks for the detailed answer. This is something I was looking for. I have read that some people fill out the fine thread with epoxy resin (two components) and re-drill with a thread cutter the thread... I will address myself first to a precision mechanic... Have the MacBooks Pro Retina American Standard or Metric threads installed and which size? thanks.

Andrej,

Not sure epoxy (or glue) would work here (given the small size). Thread lock Loctite might work.

Dan,