Complete disassembly and installation guides for most iPods, including iPod Original, Mini, Shuffle, Nano, and Touch.

Display setting too bright to see menu

I had to replace my iPod 4th Generation 40gb display because it was progressively getting dimmer. I turned up the brightness to the max until the display finally went dead. Now I have put in a new display and the brightness setting is sooo bright that I can't see the menus to try to reset the contrast. What can I do?

4th Generation. White 40gb model.

Well, what model iPod is it? I might be able to help tell you how to get to the menu, but I need to know the model first.

4th Generation. 40gb model.

if someone has a working 4g model, I could count the number of "clicks" and maybe navigate to the brightness setting and reduce it?

Okay, I've got a 3rd generation model, and I think the two are set up similarly.

At the main menu, scroll up all the way- just make it click about 10 times and you should be good. By the way, these are assuming the layout is the default, so you should scroll down 2 clicks from the top. Hit the middle button, then scroll down 7 clicks. You should be in the contrast menu.

That didn't work. The main menu seems to have 4 options. I think the first option has 7 options, the second option on the main menu has 14 options, the 3rd option on the main menu seems to only have 1 or none and the 4th also seems to have 1 or none.

Okay, I'm going to bet that the second option is currently settings. So, from the top, try clicking down one, then clicking down 7 more in the next menu.

tz3026 will be eternally grateful.