The PlayStation 3 Slim is the second version of the PS3 video game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment. It was released September 1, 2009.

Why does Playstation 3 slim shut down seconds after start up.?

Ok. Plugging the cord into the wall brings up the red stand-by light. Pressing the power button you can hear the fan start up for a moment, then about 5 seconds later it shuts down. Red stand-by light disappears. Must unplug, then plug cord back into outlet for red light to reappear. I have bought a Power Supply Unit but that did not fix it. I do believe it was a different model then the one that was in it if that matters. Is it the power cord? The Power Supply? The Power Ribbon? Please help so desperate :(

I also have similar problem, PS3 shuts down with same behavior with some sound.

Have the same problem , tried this and no improvement ..... What's next

Try with another power supply.

My PS3 been out for a year I did turn my scew clockwise stripping it its shuts off immediately I replace the PSU I might need a reflow or new mobo

Most Helpful Answer

Probably you have a problem with the Power Supply. I don't now the model of your PS3 but there is one solution for this with PS APS-250. I think that APS-270 is the same but I am not shure. If the model of your PS is the same you can try. First disassemble the PS. In the up-middle side you can see two potentiometers. Mark them and turn them left arround 5 degrees.

I uploaded some pictures here.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/1168838503...

Here's how to Unplug the power supply:

PlayStation 3 Slim Power Supply Replacement

Regards.

As far as I have been able to find, this sort of problem is either the cpu or the graphic processor, to fix you have to reflow the solder.. problem may be fixed by just cleaning out the old thermal compound and reapplying but only if the solder is intact.. and if you have the machine open you may as well reflow the solder while your at it.. I have read and watched so many vids on how to do this and still haven't done it yet. I know they recommend using 'no clean flux', but before doing anything remove the PRAM battery clean everything well, clean off old compound with isopropyl alcohol.. and if this doesn't work then I don't know what it could be..

I'm sure someone more learned in this field would have the answer.

I just replaced the thermal compound on mine today. It didn't want to start up properly afterwards but did eventually - now seems to back to normal. I had several weeks trying various remedies including a good clean out and adjusting the potentiometers. Try the easier stuff first then replace the thermal compound if all else fails. I found a good 35 step guide to stripping it down to the chips, cleaning off with alcohol and replacing with new compound. It takes a while but if you follow the guide carefully and put all the removed screws in some sort of order you can revive your PS3.

please can I have the actual site (with the 35 step guide) that you used to fix your problems plus may I ask if it still works since you did re apply thermal compound? Mine used to come on so much so I could start a game but once I do it goes off as it starts. Last month I played God of War 3 from beginning and played for almost 15 minutes then I got the overheating warning and switched off. since then I dont put it on again to check

I moved my potentiometers but, unfortunately did not mark them before moving. So now I have no idea where they were to begin with.. I feel like I should not have moved them.. the machine still turns on sometimes.. anyone got any advice on this. Photos of where they should be would be great I'm going off the cross indent in the top of the potentiometer, mine is a plus instead of a cross. I have turned it towards the blue square thing on the end, while holding the unit with the potentiometers towards the top.

I hope I have explained this well.

Please help me.

With old power supply, after turn on i loose the red led and have to disconnect for 10 minutes to press the power and see the green light for 2 seconds.

After replace with a new power supply, the system starts on for 2 seconds and shutdowns the led indicator disapears and i have to press the powerr button for the red indicator show's up

It could be the blue ray player because everything runs throught it we checked the power supply and even used a 12 volt cource that had the same amout of amps and still had the same problem with the ps3 meaning it could most likely be the blueray player

I took my air compressor to mine it was doing the same thing blew out all the vents without even taking it apart plugged it back in it worked perfectly. But you got to blow out all vents on all four sides plus all the hookups + inside of the CD insert as well.

I Have the same problem I tried so many things and none of them helped wish there was a solution so anybody that knows a solution Please reply Thanks

My PS3 (250X) only turns on when I have it in a certain position on my desk. If it's not in the correct position, it will turn on, and a few seconds later, shut off. I've rebuilt and changed the PSU, replaced the thermal paste, cleaned it multiple times, changed the disk tray, and changed the hard drive but it still won't work normaly. I forgot to mention that it still turns off after a few minutes even though it's in a good position. I have no idea why it would be doing this but it would be great to get some help.

Connor will be eternally grateful.