The PlayStation 3 Slim is the second version of the PS3 video game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment. It was released September 1, 2009.

Why does Playstation 3 slim shut down seconds after start up.?

Ok. Plugging the cord into the wall brings up the red stand-by light. Pressing the power button you can hear the fan start up for a moment, then about 5 seconds later it shuts down. Red stand-by light disappears. Must unplug, then plug cord back into outlet for red light to reappear. I have bought a Power Supply Unit but that did not fix it. I do believe it was a different model then the one that was in it if that matters. Is it the power cord? The Power Supply? The Power Ribbon? Please help so desperate :(

I also have similar problem, PS3 shuts down with same behavior with some sound.

Have the same problem , tried this and no improvement ..... What's next

Try with another power supply.

Most Helpful Answer

Probably you have a problem with the Power Supply. I don't now the model of your PS3 but there is one solution for this with PS APS-250. I think that APS-270 is the same but I am not shure. If the model of your PS is the same you can try. First disassemble the PS. In the up-middle side you can see two potentiometers. Mark them and turn them left arround 5 degrees.

I uploaded some pictures here.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/1168838503...

Here's how to Unplug the power supply:

PlayStation 3 Slim Power Supply Replacement

Regards.

I moved my potentiometers but, unfortunately did not mark them before moving. So now I have no idea where they were to begin with.. I feel like I should not have moved them.. the machine still turns on sometimes.. anyone got any advice on this. Photos of where they should be would be great I'm going off the cross indent in the top of the potentiometer, mine is a plus instead of a cross. I have turned it towards the blue square thing on the end, while holding the unit with the potentiometers towards the top.

I hope I have explained this well.

Please help me.

With old power supply, after turn on i loose the red led and have to disconnect for 10 minutes to press the power and see the green light for 2 seconds.

After replace with a new power supply, the system starts on for 2 seconds and shutdowns the led indicator disapears and i have to press the powerr button for the red indicator show's up

As far as I have been able to find, this sort of problem is either the cpu or the graphic processor, to fix you have to reflow the solder.. problem may be fixed by just cleaning out the old thermal compound and reapplying but only if the solder is intact.. and if you have the machine open you may as well reflow the solder while your at it.. I have read and watched so many vids on how to do this and still haven't done it yet. I know they recommend using 'no clean flux', but before doing anything remove the PRAM battery clean everything well, clean off old compound with isopropyl alcohol.. and if this doesn't work then I don't know what it could be..

I'm sure someone more learned in this field would have the answer.

Connor will be eternally grateful.