0

nathalizator
1

Liquid on keyboard, logic board ok but alt key blocked

i just dropped coffe on my mbp , i've immediatly turn it off and bring it to the store. they keep it like 2 hours and call me back to get it back saying they cleaned the logic board and it was ok.

Going back to my car i test the mbp and try to push key like " sound mute etc ( all the F1 F2 F3 ... keys ) and the computer acting weird like not doing what i wantend. I go back to the store and it show the virtual keyboard and the alt ( option ) keys is blocked, it means that alt is always active .

He said that i have to change all the top case ...

i've seen that on internet we can find just the keyboard part ... do you think if i change only the keyboard part it's gonna be okay ?

okay,do you think i can convince the premium reseller to just replace the keyboard, and not all the uppercase? for now he ask me 250 € ... instead of 100 for just the keyboard...

well anyway he kept my computer, if he doesn't accept tomorrow to just replace the keyboard i'll try to do it myself... i'll keep you in touch ..

It looks like there is no available keyboard on ifixit ? for a macbook pro 15 early 2011 .

i also have a friend who have a 2010 mid mbp 13" that can sell me his keyboard but i don't know if it fit in 15"... any ideas?

Edited by: nathalizator ( )

6

Jonathan James
367

Please know that the MacBook Pro is a very tedious repair. There are literally around 50 screws in the bottom of the keyboard area alone. I would open it up clean the motherboard with a 99% pure alcohol solution using a soft bristle toothbrush in any areas that you see a white calcium looking substance that is where there most likely could be corrosion. So clean those areas and install your new keyboard and 9/10 times you will be up and working again. Let me know if you have any question during the process. More than happy to help.

Jon

Edited by: Jonathan James ( )

iFixit doesn't sell it, but search around the internet.

Jackintosh11,

3

Jackintosh11

Yeah, it'll be fine. However, it's a lot of tiny screws.