An external hard drive that uses USB 2.0.

Takes some time for my mac to see my hardrive

I had this harddrive for quite a few years and now it takes ALOT longer then for it to read on my mac then in 2006

also i use it on my dell at the same time but NEVER on both computers

i used it on my santa rosa MacBook Pro in 2008 sometimes but i got the meachine upgraded

it is a 250gb

What connection type is it?

As well as what format?

it is a usb2.0 and it works on my mac and pc on fat32 i believe

Have you tried re-formatting it with your disk utility application? My external drive wouldn't even register until I re-formatted it into the Mac OS(Journaled) version. I'm guessing that is your problem, but get back to me!

that would make not that much sense - the drive is used on a mac and a pc. i never had any issues with a fat32 drive and mac os - the mounting speed can be slower when the drive is large, fragmented and/or full.

All I'm saying is my GreenDrive would take about an hour to mount then it would disappear and all my problems went away when I re-formatted it. I changed the format type to Mac OS (Journaled) and it works perfectly now. I thought that this guy had the same problem.

Most Helpful Answer

How full is the hard drive ?

maybe it needs to be defragmented

do you use the drive very often ?

4 years can be a long time for a hdd

I guess you mean 147 out of 160gb - in that case i would say - the drive is almost full (160gb should be around 149gb in reality). since it's a 160gb - is it a 2.5" ?

its a 3.5''

I pulled it away from my dell to check and get a correct use

My mistake theres 245GB left on it

Well, you can't re-format it in a different filesystem and maintain mac compatibility, since FAT32 filesystem is the only filesystem, that can be read and wrote to by both Macs and PC's, but you could try and defragment it as Markus Weiher suggusted. also, have you opened the drive enclosure, and checked for dust, or anything preventing the cooling mechanisms from working? When drives heat up, they tend to slow down. If it still gives you issues, i would backup your data, as the drive may crash.

and by the way i think it disapates heat naturally and i took it apart a while back and it uses heatsinks too

it has a thin layer on the heatsinks

Slightly off topic but maybe its a case of "Holmes we have a clue". My MacBook Pro (2.16 C2D) used do really boot quick into 10.6 (40secs) but with time it got a lot slower. Recently i installed a new 250 GB drive and restored everything from a TimeMachine backup. Since then it is as quick as it used to be.

its a external drive

Nick will be eternally grateful.