Refrigerator

Repair and disassembly guides for food cooling appliances including refrigerators, freezers and fridge-freezers.

Refrigerator lights up then shuts down after a couple of minutes

Hope someone can help. Have this side by side GE Profile Artica PSC23SGRB

model: PSC23SG RB refrigerator. Woke up and found it totally not working. The top lights on the frig side were off and the bottom ones were on in the frig side. All lights were on in the freezer side. the upper control indicator would light up. When pushing the freezer control to 0 but it would just snap back to the room temp. When pushing the frig temp to 34 it would also snap back to room temp. Tried the immediate 15min chill setting but also did not work, Went to the back, took off lower panel to expose the compressoor and some fan that shot into some cyclinder shaped filter of sorts. It was loaded with dust. Cleaned it and went to fire it up the unit. After plugging it back in I opened the door, noticed all lights on and the refrigetator seemed to be working. It worked for about almost 7-10 mins with the freezer working but not the frig part. After 7 to 10 mins it would go back to that shut down mode with the upper lights off and lower frig light on. I would let the unit sit unplugged for a bit and I would repeat this process over and over again with same results.

One of my thoughts was to check to see if the coil was fouled up with dust but can't get at it. At least not from the rear. I'd like some advice on this before I try finding out how to check the coil. If someone thinks its the coil, then how do I get at it? Couldn't find anything on Youtube. 773-909-6255, 773-735-6400 Ed

Most Helpful Answer

The Evaporator Coils are Frosted Over

If the freezer is cold but the refrigerator is warm and the evaporator coils are frosted over, there may be a defrost system problem. Several times a day the defrost heater assembly turns on for a few minutes to melt away any frost or ice that may have accumulated on the evaporator coils. If the defrost heater assembly has burned out, or the defrost thermostat or defrost control have failed the frost will build up on the coils and eventually no air will be able to travel through the coils to provide cooling. The most common cause for this condition is a problem with the defrost system.

Evaporator Fan Motor

If the refrigerator freezer is cold but the refrigerator is warm, the evaporator fan motor might have failed. Every refrigerator has a set of coils called an evaporator. These are the coils that get cold. A small fan and motor is mounted near the coils. This fan and motor - called the evaporator fan and motor, draws air over the evaporator coils and circulates it throughout the freezer and refrigerator. If the fan fails, the freezer or refrigerator will get much warmer than usual.

Damper Control Assembly

If the freezer is cold but refrigerator is warm the air damper control might be stuck closed or broken. The air damper control is either an automatic or manually operated door which opens and closes to let more or less cold air into the refrigerator compartment. If it doesn't open properly it won't let enough cold air into the refrigerator. If the evaporator fan is running, the damper door is open and no air is coming out. The evaporator may be frosted up caused by a defrost problem.

Thermistor

If the freezer is cold but the refrigerator is warm the thermistor might be defective. The thermistor is a sensor which monitors the air temperature. It is connected to the control board. If the thermistor is defective the refrigerator does not cool or may cool continuously.

Temperature Control Board

If the refrigerator's freezer is cold but the refrigerator is warm the temperature control board might be defective. The temperature control board provides the voltage to the fan motors and compressor. These boards are often misdiagnosed. Check all other components to be certain this is the cause of the problem.

Defrost Thermostat

If the refrigerator freezer is cold but the refrigerator is warm, the defrost thermostat might be defective. Several times a day the defrost heater turns on for a few minutes to melt away any frost that may have accumulated on the evaporator coils. In order for this to work, the defrost thermostat has to sense that the coils are cold enough. If the coils are cold enough the defrost heater will turn on. If the thermostat is defective it may not be able to sense the temperature of the coils and then won't turn on the defrost heater. If the defrost heater doesn't turn on, the frost will build up on the coils and eventually no air will be able to travel through the coils to provide cooling to the freezer or refrigerator. The defrost thermostat can be checked for continuity. It should have continuity when it reaches the low temperature of its operating range.

Main Control Board

If the refrigerator's freezer is cold but the refrigerator is warm the main control board might be defective. This is not common. The cause of this problem is almost always in the defrost components.

I really appreciate your giving me the suggestions. Since my post, I checed out the compressor with a continuity tester and it checks out fine. I also finally found the coil which was located behind a panel in the freezer compartment. It was clean as a whistle. Free of frost and free of any dust whats-so-ever. The fan, motor and blades are working fine. I don't know where to look for the thermostadt or how to test out the control which I would think would be procy. Control board is very easy to access in the back of the frig. Any other suggestions?

by Edward Fogell

No that's all I know of.

by mayer

Hi, after reviewing your problem, I can suggest you to check your GE refrigerator settings once. I may be the reason for this problem. If it not works then you can take support from experts or get help from the store from where you buy home appliances.

Edward Fogell will be eternally grateful.