The larger of Apple's MacBook Air laptops featuring dual microphones and 802.11ac Wi-Fi connectivity.

Enclosure for mid-2013 MacBook Air SSD?

Is there an external enclosure for the mid-2013 Macbook Air's new SSD? I removed the SSD from a non-operable device and would like to copy the files to a new drive. These have been available for the 2010-12 MacBook Air drives, but I'm confused about compatibility of current enclosures on the market and the new SSD for the mid-2013 model that was revealed by iFixit.

Sorry no there is no external case yet to house the new PCIe versions of SSD's Apple is using in the new '13 models.

With that said you could swap out your SSD with the spare (as long as you have the same exact model). Then, using a USB drive copy off all of the stuff to the USB drive then swap back your SSD unit and copy back over the stuff you need.

While this is a fair amount of work it shouldn't take to long to do. If you plan to get rid of the SSD I would put your MacBook air into target mode and via a second Mac wipe down the SSD before swapping yours back in.

Most Helpful Answer

I had the exact same problem. My Mid-2013 MBA suffered severe water damage and the logic board is fried. I plan on having Apple send it off to have the innards replaced (which they quoted $280 if they detect no damage, $750 if the detect water damage). I asked if I they can A) recover my data for me before tossing the old SSD, B) Return the old SSD with the refurbished computer, or C) let me take out the SSD before they ship it off.

They refused all 3 options. They said if I don't turn in the complete computer, including the original SSD, I will not qualify for that repair rate that the quoted me. Apparently it's a subsidized rate to replace damaged parts, so if I turned it in with parts missings I would be charged a higher full retail price for the parts and repair.

I found a solution. Despite what everyone says, there IS an SSD enclosure on the market that works with the new SSD enclosures: It's called an Apple Macbook Air.

I bought another brand new identical MBA from apple ($1500). I took the SSD out of my damaged computer and put it in the new MBA. It booted right up as if it was my old computer. I copied all the data to my network drive. I very carefully put the stock SSD back in the new computer and closed it up very very carefully, sure to not leave a single scratch or trace the computer had been opened. I put it back in the orginal packaging and returned it to the Apple Store the day after it arrived in the mail for 100% refund, no restocking fee or anything.

I felt a tiny bit bad about abusing their generous return policy like this, but at the same time I feel like they really left me no choice. They offer no enclosures for their propriety SSDs and they wouldn't even send me back the SSD from the broken machine or do a quick copy of the data from the old SSD to the new one for me... or they could even offer to test the SSD and if it work keep the same old SSD (data intact) in the new logic board, and maybe even save them some money on parts.

Thanks. Unfortunately, my Air was the victim of clumsiness and suffered severe liquid damage. Just swapping out a drive isn't an option. Appreciate the response and I'll stay hopeful an enclosure will hit the market soon before I send the computer out for repair.

There are enclosures, however they normally come with SSD's to expand memory. If you do a google search for 'OWC', they have a lot of different solutions that might help... However I have not found a stand alone one either.

Shaun

Shaun your right time flies, OWC now has SSD's & case solutions for most of the Air's & many of the retina MBP's. Sadly, the mid '13 model and newer of the Air is still MIA ;-{

The '13 and newer Air uses a different SSD based on PCIe as such the interface is unique from the older models.

I have the same issue for my nephew's Macbook - has there been any update to this? Is such a device available now where I can put the drive in to retrieve data?

Thanks Dan. A friend shown me this site yesterday. I am UK based so am going to see if I can find a British seller before I commit to a purchase from abroad. Thanks for your assistance

So far they are the only ones. Gee, we're only across the pond mate! ;-} They do ship to farther off lands.

Haha! Yeah, I don't have a problem with that, it's just an urgency to retrieve the coursework. I have had an online chat with them, they are on pre-order, it's that new a product. Thanks for the help, it is appreciated.

Bob will be eternally grateful.